Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

Amazingly done. XD The coloring is so great with this one Q! Turned out great.

Thanks all

I'm still searching for a coloring style that fits my lined drawings a bit better. My other CGing style is a more dark/realistic style and it doesn't really match well with black lines. For the dark CG style I use alot of "Linear Burn" layers, which results in more flat colors and a high contrast ratio.

For this one I only used a single Linear Burn layer, which I used for the cellshading. After that I used around 7 layers of all kinds of reddish/purple-ish colors to give it the sweet colorfull look.

uhh..

hmmmm..

err.. hmm.. !

On 2008-04-20 10:00, qoxolg wrote:
    For the dark CG style I use alot of "Linear Burn" layers, which results in more flat colors and a high contrast ratio.

For this one I only used a single Linear Burn layer, which I used for the cellshading. After that I used around 7 layers of all kinds of reddish/purple-ish colors to give it the sweet colorfull look.
    I have to make you know...
    You totally lost me on this part. xD *didn't understand any of the crap and goes hanging himself with a random computer cable* *cable breaks, falls on the floor with a big BANG !* "Ugh, as they say... 3rd Time's the Charm..."

haha.. umm.. just forget it it's probably because my english fails ( I am dutch you know..) or your Photoshop knowledge-level isn't the same as mine

if you use photoshop, you can paint things ontop of one another without hurting the bottom image (Layer)

you then can set it to a special attribute Linear Burn which changes the stuff you just painted.

I'll take a picture tonght.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Yeah, well, i'm a noob at Photoshop, all i know is how to use and create layers, and the basic drawing tools in the left lil' menu, not much more ; so yeah, no clue about this Linear Burn thingy.

yep.. thats pretty much it.

When you use Linear Burn layers it's easy to make shades by only using all sorts of grays.
    Lets rip nerdlove appart:

Here we have the line work:

next I filled it up with some flats:

next I made the cell shade in a "Linear Burn" layer.. as you can see I only used some gray tones.

next I added some color to the flats, the "Linear burn" layer is still on top of this one:

next I added more reddish to the skin and a very soft grey/purple tone to the rest:

next I added some blush to the cheeks of the nerds and some darker shadows to the background:

next I added the shadow that is casted by the objects:

I added some bricks to make the background less empty:

and I added some glow to the harts:

Ah ok, i get it much better now. You using much more layers than i ever did, haha. Used to have one for lineart, one for BG, one for colors and sometimes another one for some shadows, but rarely more than that.
    Actually, might try out this linear burn thing, that's probably what was missing when i was trying to color things on Photoshop ; i used to draw on things called oekakis (mostly with PaintBBS, then ShiPainter) and i was using the +/- density tool on them, but on PS, this tool is way too... hum... well, aggressive, i'd say. Dunno how to explain it, but i couldn't manage to get any smooth shading effect with that on PS while it was working on ShiPainter. And never found anything useful on PS to fix that (in the basic tools, i mean).
    Thanks for the in-depths you just made here, anyways. That's been quite useful to me.

Actually this piece is quite simple compared to my dark CG style. I can also rip one of those apart if you would like that, those show even more Linear Burn and Dodge fun

Yeah, sure. I'm always up for anything when it comes to bump this thread up to death.