Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Yes. Funny you should ask just as I get done with a chapter.

You’ve all been very patient with me. As a display of gratitude, I will throw a smidgen of **** at the fan this chapter. A tiny smidgen, but it’ll splatter quite well, I promise.

Chapter 3: The Fan, She is Broken

Before it went kablooie, Rozenom displayed the fruits of a massive, unified effort of engineering. The entire city as it stood was erected all at once, and as such, was uniform in design. Every block was a perfect square carved out of the whole, every street ran either parallel or perpendicular to one another, and there was not a single structure that did not have a duplicate somewhere in the city.

The city had a claustrophobic feeling about it; only in a few places could a person feel they were truly “outside.” Anywhere else, there was always a hallway of some kind to ferry you from building to building. It was like being in a gigantic shopping mall, complete with multiple levels to scale. Sunlight only came through the gaps in the layered stacks, creating a thickening dimness in the city as you descended levels.

In the upper levels, Johann is walking through one of those halls en route to his first day of work. Following behind him, is a white haired human that is just barely keeping up with his pace as she is busy taking in the clustered scenery of Rozenom. Every few seconds, she has to jog up to his back before lingering behind to let her eyes wander.

”Hahn, this place is really something!” Alice says.

”I suppose it is quite a sight if it’s your first time,” Johann says, keeping his eyes ahead of him.

”Hey, aren’t ya just a lil’ nervous?” Alice asks, jogging up to his side for the hundredth time that morning.

”I don’t get nervous,” Johann says, “especially not for something as mundane as a day of work. He turns his head to Alice walking at his side and winces slightly when he sees her sugary sweet smile in response to his bravado. “Ugh. At any rate…how are you enjoying being a Guardian?”

”It’s great!” Alice says, stopping to pump her fists. “But I’m really surprised. Keiko’s real busy! I barely see her.”

”That’s to be expected,” Johann replies, letting his eyes follow a caseal that walks by him in the opposite direction. Before his lips start to curve into a lecherous smirk, he catches himself and returns his attention to Alice. “Remember when I told you about full blooded and dilute blooded newmen?”

Alice nods, and Johann nods as well. As they walk up a ramp to a higher level of Rozenom, Johann continues, “full blooded newmen accrue valence at a much higher rate than the rest of us. Though she’s only sixteen now, I imagine in another year or so, she and I will be about even in radiance.” He pauses to grumble an obscenity or two and shove a cigarette in mouth to pacify himself. “The downside is that the higher a body’s valence, the more photons it requires to sustain it. Most of us don’t live long enough for this to become an issue, but the level of valence that Seishas can reach requires an enormous amount of photons to sustain.”

”Is she going to die?!” Alice yells as she jumps in front of Johann and grips him by the shoulders.

”What? No. You met her mother, didn’t you?” At a laser fence, Johann bends over to look a retina scanner in the eye and gain entry to yet a higher level. “No, you see, Neudaiz is much richer in ambient photons than the other two planets and Colony. So, once she gains that much valence, she won’t be able to leave Neudaiz. Knowing her, she wants to see as much of Gurhal as she can before that happens.”

”Aww…the poor thing…”

”Hmph, well, she wouldn’t want you feeling sorry for her. …All right, we’re here.” The sun shines brightly upon the highest layer of Rozenom, which Johann and Alice have walked out onto. “One could get lost here very easily,” Johann says as he looks on the vast and neat expanse of green turf. “All right, I believe my building is in this direction…”

On fifth floor Colony, Keiko and Lumia are just now stepping out of the elevator. As they walk out, Lumia lags behind as she is wiping her legs down with a look of twisted disgust on her face. Giggling, Keiko turns around and says, “ah, sorry for not warning you about the Vitaces. They get kinda grabby.”

”I can still feel it on me…” Lumia moans.

”Hello there you two!” Stacy says from across the floor, “I hope your second day out was a good one?” The girls nod as their senior comes down the overlook to walks towards them. “Lumia, I talked Aegis Fairchild into giving you some weapon instruction. She’s waiting for you in training room 3.”

”R-right! Thank you Aegis Caroll!” With that, Lumia bows and runs off in the direction Stacy come from, still wiping the back of her hand across her legs.

”You…’talked’ Zoe into it?” Keiko asks while turning a glance sideways towards Stacy.

”Well, there might have been some coercion involved,” Stacy says with a furtive grin.

”What’s your interest in Lumi-chan anyway?” Keiko asks. “You’re going to a lot of trouble for one recruit.”

”Hmm…let’s just say this recruit is special.” Adjusting her glasses on the bridge of her nose, she goes on, “and get Johann up here some time. I need to get him in on this too.”

”Sure…” There’s a short pause as the trailing end of Keiko’s thought works its way to her mouth. “Um, Stacy-“ And that thought is interrupted when Stacy pinches Keiko’s cheeks and tugs at them with a flat expression her face. “Aegis Caroll, Aegis Caroll!”

”Yes, dear?” Stacy asks innocently.

”If you’re in such a teaching mood, would you mind teaching me how to cast Megistar?”

”Oh? Why the sudden interest?” Stacy asks as she shifts her weight onto one leg.

Keiko puts a finger on her chin and looks up at the ceiling while she considers her response. The whole answer would essentially require a recap of the events of Dezolis, something she is not quite willing to do. So, she looks for a way to condense her answer and eventually settles on, “I want to be able to keep up with Jo-sei.”

”…Wait. Johann used Megistar?” Stacy asks with a raised eyebrow. Keiko nods, and Stacy slaps her palm against her forehead. “Ugh, that moron. I told him that Megistar should be a last resort after his nanoblast. I bet he didn’t nanoblast?” Keiko shakes her head. “No, of course he didn’t, that would be smart…”

”Uh, so, will you teach me?” Keiko asks.

”Well…all right. I have a feeling we have some very difficult battles on the horizon,” Stacy says. “It’ll be important for all of us to be at our best. Come back tomorrow and we’ll get started.”

”Yes, thank you!”

Back in Rozenom, Johann enters a lab room. Before taking another step inside, he takes stock of the room. It’s as stereotypical a lab as they come; the room is a sterile white, there are table stations throughout the room and there are several mechanical devices set up in the various corners of the hexagon shaped room.

”Seems they have everything I need…excellent,” he says.

”Nice to meet ya boss!”

”The hell?” Johann looks to his side to see a newman man, several inches shorter than he, greeting him with an outstretched hand. Rolling with it, Johann holds out his own hand and shakes the smaller man’s hand. “Er, nice to meet you as well…?”

”I’m Simon, one of your advisees,” the man says. He’s a small guy, with a narrow frame; clearly, he’s never seen a day of battle in his life, instead having had time to gel his blond hair to perfection.

”Oh. They gave me graduate students. That’s…that’s lovely,” Johann says. “Ffff…anyway, you said advisees, as in plural?”

”Right. Elly’s on a mat run. She should be back any minute.”

”Just two? I suppose that’s manageable,” Johann says. He pulls out a stool from one of the stations with his foot and has himself a seat. “I’m assuming you’re competent?”

”Oh sure! You got the best two doctoral candidates in Landale at your service!”

”Simon, is he here yet?” a woman’s voice calls from just outside the door. Johann and Simon look towards the door to see a human carrying a moderately large box in both hands. As she steps into the room, she trips, dropping her box. Lucky for her, Johann is over there in a flash to catch her in mid fall by putting his arm around her waist. With his other arm, Johann catches the box and holds it while the woman regains her balance.

”Are you all right?” Johann asks.

”I-I’m fine!” the brunette stammers as she jumps out of Johann’s arm and steps a comfortable distance away. As she starts calming down, she rubs her arm and turns her head to the box that Johann is carrying. “Thank you Aegis Launcher.”

Johann raises an eyebrow as he says, “Aegis?”

”Oh, Doctor! I meant Dr. Launcher…”

”Of course you did,” he says. Looking her over, Johann doesn’t see anything that piques his interest. She has a slim frame with the curves of a loaf of bread. And in contrast to his own impeccable fashion sense, she looks as if she let herself be dressed by blind monkeys with clashing colors, socks of different length and sleeves that aren’t even symmetrical. “…Elly, is it?”

”Yes,” she says.

”Elyham then?”

”Um, yes, but-“

”Elyham will do fine. All right Simon, Elyham; now that we have formalities out of the way, let’s get right down to work.” After setting the box onto the station, Johann turns back around towards the door and calls, “Alice. Come in please.”

Alice pokes her head in from the side of the door’s frame and only comes in at Johann’s insistence. “How do y’all do?” she says.

”Would you please take off your shirt Alice?” Johann asks nonchalantly. Seeing Alice’s flustered medley of stammering and stuttering, he adds, “I assure you, it’s medically relevant.”

”If that’s the case, then we have some examination gowns-“ Simon starts, before getting stealthily punched in the gut by Johann.

Though she pouts, filling her cheeks with air, Alice complies and lifts her blouse over her head, leaving her with nothing but her black bra up top. “Oh my, how risqué,” Johann says.

”Gwen picked it out for me,” she says as she folds her arms over herself while veering away from eye contact.

”Mm. Anyway.” Johann digs a finger into her exposed belly button and the skin on her waist peels back to reveal a softly glowing light inside. “Alice here, is a stateria. Seeing this, you should have no doubts what I’m telling you is true.”

”Whoa, I didn’t even know there were stateria that looked human! Awesome find, boss!” Simon says before walking up for closer examination. “You going to present this to the uni-“

Again, Simon is interrupted by a strike from Johann, this time to the back of his head. “First off, she is not a ‘this.’ Second, no, I’m not presenting anyone. There’s no need for anyone not in this room to know about this. They’d want just poke and prod her all day like some kind of lab rat.”

”What exactly did you have in mind, Aegis Launcher?” Elly asks. A short pause and a raised eyebrow follow after which Elly corrects herself, “er, Dr. Launcher.”

Johann grabs his wrist around his back and starts to pace around the lab station they’re all standing by. ”As you can see, Alice is a unique stateria. I’d like to find out why.”He nudges his head towards the stool he was sitting in and says, “have a seat, Alice.”

”Oh, thank ya Hahn.”

”We should be able to cap our experimentation to a reasonable amount of time as not to intrude on her life,” he says. “Honestly, I would be happier if it were just me, but this isn’t all bad. I was going to start today with some basic diagnostics, but since you two are here, you can do that boring grunt work for me. Get to it.”

”No sweat boss!”

”Oh, and my condolences to you two,” Johann says as he starts walking away to set up his office, “having to work for me, and all.”

Oh, you didn’t think that was the **** did you? Please, no, that was weak. This right here, this will blow minds. At Yohmei Corporation’s main headquarters on Neudaiz is where we’re going to call for a mop. In a lavish office, built with lacquered wood, and lined with finely woven cloth, an aged human sits at the desk in the middle of the room. He’s dressed appropriately for his job, wearing pressed slacks and a buttoned shirt underneath a purple overcoat, though his hair is a bushy mess that extends down to his waist.

At the moment, he’s thumbing through a binder of his company’s quarterly earnings with a grin on his face much too wide for the work he’s doing. Even odder, he looks annoyed when he’s interrupted by the intercom on his desk. ”Sir, there’s a woman here to see you. She insists that it’s urgent. Shall I call security-“

”Send her in,” he says.

”Ah…certainly, sir.” After a minute, the doors to his office open and Gwendolyn strides in with a look on her face that could raise the hairs off the dead.

The CEO barely looks up from his binder and simply says, “your face will freeze that way.” After a few moments of silence, he sighs and looks up, “I’m sure you didn’t come all this way just to see if you could glare a hole in me.”

”No. I’ve come to ask a question of you, boy,” she says, seating herself in the plush chair in front of the desk.

”Oh really? I wonder, what knowledge does a mere business man like myself have to offer to the Profound Darkness…” he says, returning his eyes to his quarterly reports.

~~~~~~

Nah, I’m just screwing with you. There’s a little more to go. Gwen holds her stare, but allows herself to recline into her chair. She asks, “what’s your endgame in all of this?”

”Is that all you came to ask? Darkness, you should know by now. I’m in this for the lulz,” the CEO says.

”I don’t believe that for one minute, but seeing as this little mortal shell is lacking in omniscience…”

”Oh, don’t say it like that,” the CEO says with a toothy grin, “being mortal has been fun, hasn’t it?”

Gwen’s eyes drift to the side, and only return once she’s ready to sidestep the question, asking instead, “even if you are in all of this ‘for the lulz,’ you should understand what Howzer is planning. You really don’t intend to do anything?”

The CEO sets his binder down and leans back in his chair. Looking inside the binder, there’s a skin mag opened up to a page with a beast woman hidden inside. “I am just history’s witness now. If the world is to be destroyed, then let it be destroyed,” he says.

”Tch, if only you’d been this apathetic back at ‘that’ time,” Gwen says with a sneer.

”Heh, well, sorry. What can I say? I was young. I gave a damn.” Finishing that thought, he shuts his eyes for a moment, and then spins in his chair. Hopping on a new train of thought, he says, “but this is funny. You actually care. I wonder why that is.”

”Ugh, I don’t know why I came here. Talking to you is perpetually frustrating,” Gwen says as she shoots up out of her seat and makes for the door.

”I don’t suppose it could be that you’ve made some attachments to this world? Perhaps…you’ve come to like a certain cocky, douchehat son of mine?” the CEO says with a wry smirk.

Gwen is at the door when the CEO asks that question, so she pauses and places her palm against the heavy wood. “Don’t be ridiculous,” she says, whispering into the door, “there’s no fate for me but to hate. Hate does not love, boy.”

”Oo, nice lyrics, going to start an emo band?” the CEO asks as he picks his binder back up.

”Tch…one more question. If you are merely history’s witness, and history would have you die…what would you do?” she asks.

”I said it already, didn’t I Darkness?” He spins his chair around again and this time, ends up facing away from the door. “I’m in this for the lulz.”

~~~~~~~

Man, what a boring chapter.
    Last edited by Xaeris; Jun 28, 2009 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeris View Post
    ”Of course you did,” he says. Looking her over, Johann doesn’t see anything that piques his interest. She has a slim frame with the curves of a loaf of bread. And in contrast to his own impeccable fashion sense, she looks as if she let herself be dressed by blind monkeys with clashing colors, socks of different length and sleeves that aren’t even symmetrical. “…Elly, is it?”
    So, better fashion sense than the Elly we know and Merc lusts for. Good to know. >_>

Guess I just have good timing. Now, one slight problem. My copies of all your old stuff (including Successor) were on my old HD that did a bit of dying recently. I haven't been able to recover files off of that yet.

This brings me to two (kinda three and change) questions:

1. Do you have copies of your older stuff? If so, could you e-mail them to me?

2. Was PD "sealed" after the events of Successor, or just driven back from the brink? It kinda jumped to *spoilers* and *cameo* and *events leading up into a side-story with more spoilers*, and PD wasn't mentioned further. Then it went into the retcon/retelling stuff, and ended with you starting this without covering the intervening time.

Of course, with such a basic, elemental entity, it'd be kinda hard to completely get rid of her.

I'm sure you'll get to the background of all this, but I know it won't be soon enough to stop me from being impatient. >_>

Needless to say, I want more. Good job with this "boring" one.

Nope. If you lost them, then I suppose there's no record of them anywhere on the Internet. Makes me a little sad...but also a little relieved seeing as seeing my writing products from over three years ago would probably depress me.

As for what happened at that time...it's a secret.

*starts googling "HD recovery"*

<_<

And yeah, I figured it's a secret until otherwise revealed. Besides, you give yourself far too little credit. The main two runs on Gamefaqs were what got me started writing.

I suck, but that doesn't mean that what inspired me to start sucks. Far from it.

Wait, Alice changed races? Since when?

Wait, I think I figured it out already. Nevermind.

Yeah, I had some trouble with that sentence. In the end, I figured that Gurhal probably uses "human" as a catch all word for humanoids as well as the specific race, like we use "man" to mean people in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeris View Post
    Nope. If you lost them, then I suppose there's no record of them anywhere on the Internet. Makes me a little sad...but also a little relieved seeing as seeing my writing products from over three years ago would probably depress me.

As for what happened at that time...it's a secret.
    I have them still. Glorious, no?

No you don't. /jedi mind trick

You missed.

...you did end up Jedi'ing the thread into reading the correct title, though.

Also: ITT, Keiko is awesome. That is all.
    Last edited by Magus_84; Jun 30, 2009 at 06:40 AM.

I hope everyone’s 4th was lovely. I hear you guys have the second Thanks Festa. I may be making an appearance.

Chapter 4: Rally the Wall

Father, this lesson seems wholly impractical.

Heh…Johann, a battle is as much psychological warfare as it is physical. The ability to strike fear into the heart of your enemy is just as important as the ability to thrust your rapier in it. Entire wars have been won carried on the back of appearance.

Yes, I understand that all of that, father. But this is…

No buts! Now, give me twenty reps of Sensational Entry! The key is to find a theme song that suits you and imagine it’s your background music as you enter.

Ugh…

Well, however long ago that conversation took place, it is now the present day on fifth floor colony. There, most of the Aegis Wall stands assembled at the middle of the floor. Though the five people are standing in a perfect line, side by side, none of them are holding a particularly tense stance. A blonde human in the middle of the row looks to gazing into a far off land through the ceiling. A beast man at the far end is busy shooting off simple mails from his nanotransformer, smiling and nodding as he does so. For whatever serious and official business they’ve been gathered for, the only one among them whose demeanor is befitting of the situation is the purple framed caseal’s; she stands at attention, arms at her sides and head held high.

”Keiko,” Stacy says, turning her head down to Keiko who is standing right next to her, “did Johann mail you saying he was going to be late?” she asks.

”Ah, no…” Keiko says. “I haven’t gotten any mail from him today.”

”I know I sent out the mail to him along with everyone else,” Stacy says as she picks her gaze back up. While pushing her glasses back up onto her nose, she winces and says, “ugh, he’s going to be late. Ugh, that guy has some nerve, not being punctual to meet with the Headmaster.”

”He might still make it,” Keiko says, getting up on her tippy toes to get her face back into Stacy’s view.

”How? Look, here comes Headmaster Nav now!” Stacy says, thrusting out her palm with a hiss wrapped in a huff.

From the far end of the room, a cast emerges from the elevator and comes down the ramp. To the ear listening for it, a creaking sound can be heard coming from his joints with each step. Yet, to the eye, he moves fluidly and gracefully, even though he’s hobbled over when he comes to a stop in front of the line. ”Hrm…looks like everyone’s here,” the headmaster says.

”Huh?” Stacy says, looking down the line. She sees a shimmering tear of light beside Zoe, a sight that causes her to groan. Through the Ryuker, Johann walks at a relaxed pace with one hand in his pocket and the other draped against his side, holding down his coat. “Oh look at me, I’m Johann! I’m too good to walk!” Stacy says in a mock baritone.

Nailed it,” Johann thinks. He looks to Stacy and shows her a smirk, to which she replies with a sneer. “Completely worth the majimra.

”All right headmaster, what’s so important that you need all six of us in one place?” the larger beast in the group asks as he closes up his texting materials.

”Ho ho, Aegis Vinland, you should know that the sight of all of you at once is cause by itself!” Nav says with a stroke of his gnarly white beard. “There’s more important business than that though. Our intelligence has been revealing that the Illuminus is a much larger and much more organized group than we originally anticipated.”

”So it’s a particularly large barrel of idiots. I see no problem here,” Johann says.

Swiveling his head towards Johann, the headmaster says, “you should know not to underestimate the opponent’s capability based on how deplorable you find them, Aegis Launcher.”

”Tch…”

”As I was saying, it seems the Illuminus has access to a decent amount of personnel. More alarming than that though, is that they’re also equipped with a high level of equipment. Much of it is better than what our own guardians have access to.”

”Well if synthesis boards didn’t cost a small college fund, our guardians might be able to equip themselves better,” Stacy says. “Hint hint,” she adds, looking over to Johann with a hand on her hip.

Johann bares his teeth (though in the opposite direction from Stacy, seeing as he’s not stupid), and lights a smoke while he says, “I’m sure the headmaster didn’t call us here to discuss economic policy.”

”There’s also a more pressing matter,” the headmaster says, “we received a threat this morning.” He gestures his hand over to a wall, to which everyone turns. Static creeps over the wall, consuming the area whole before it snaps into a clear image. That image is of one human man standing in front of several other figures obscured by darkness.

”President, Headmaster. I hope this video finds you well,” the one visible man says, in a gravelly voice that makes everyone’s stomachs rumble. “To anyone else watching, my name is Karl Freidrich Hauser. I am the sub commander of the Illuminus.” By now, everyone’s normally cavalier attitude has been tossed out the window, and they now watch, each of them fixated on the ugly scar that crosses the bridge of Hauser’s nose.

”We are on the precipice of a glorious new era: an era that we shall plunge all of Gurhal into! Living is an act that is an affront to the Darkness! We, the Illuminus, shall redeem Gurhal of this sin, of this impurity called life! Moatoob will be devoured in a sea of writhing shadows. Neudaiz’s waters will run black with the anguish of destroyed faith. A pall of ruin will descend upon Parum. And the Guardian’s Colony…shall fall!”

”I want that coat,” Johann says, tilting his head at the roomy looking robe that Hauser is wearing.

”Do not allow the success you’ve enjoyed against the SEED forms to put you at ease. From here, they shall only become stronger! More than strong enough to crush the fools that have taken up with your banner. And as for your precious ‘Aegis Wall’…”

The aegii all either frown or narrow their eyes at hearing Hauser’s mocking contempt for them. “It will crumble, at the hands of these devas!” he says, gesturing his hand towards the shadow figures behind him. “All you have on your side is time, and it quickly turns.” The video cuts out, leaving static up on the wall.

”Those sound like fighting words,” the large beast says. “I say we give them what they want!”

”I agree with Deuce,” the blonde says, “that video was nothing but one big taunt.”

”Curious…” Johann says. Having heard a word that sounds like a preface to one of his genius ideas, everyone turns to Johann, waiting for him to continue. “The Illuminus bloated its ranks by advertising itself as a human fundamentalist group. Yet, in this video, they state their aims as wiping out civilization in general.”

”So? Crazy is crazy,” Deuce says.

”So, if we ‘accidentally’ leak this video, the Illuminus would likely lose many of its members,” Johann says. Before such a novel idea can be properly complimented, the section of wall beneath the static begins to short. Then, after a short flurry of sparks, the distinct scent of burnt plastic fills the air. “No, of course it self-destructed. That would have been much too easy…” Johann mutters.

”Clearly, we are not dealing with amateurs,” the purple caseal says. “Though it was a good thought, Dr. Launcher.”

Johann raises an eyebrow and asks, “since when do you call me Dr. Launcher, Cecilia?”

”…Oh,” Cecilia says as she swivels her head down towards Johann. “My apologies, Aegis Launcher.”

”That’s not really what I was getting at…feh, nevermind.”

”That’s all the information we have for now,” the headmaster says. “We’ll most definitely be keeping you all posted. I’ll leave you to dismiss them when you wish, Aegis-Commander.” With that, Headmaster Nav turns around and heads back the way he came, leaving the six aegii to talk amongst themselves.

”Well, all right, I just have one more thing to add to the headmaster’s agenda,” Stacy says as she steps out of line and to the front. “GRM, Yohmei and Tenora sent us prototypes of their new weapons. We need to test them and decide how we want to incorporate them into the combat templates.

”Okay, so what have we got?” Deuce asks.

Stacy turns her wrist upside down and dumps a large box onto the ground from her nanotransformer. She kneels and removes the lid, revealing an array of neatly arranged weapons. Everyone walks up to the box, some more enthusiastically than others, and has a look inside.

”Oh hey, what’s this?” Deuce says as he picks a slicer up out of the box.

”That’s a hiken. It’s something my father came up with. He was complaining that he couldn’t figure out how to work a Charge special into it, whatever that means,” Johann says.

”Oo, this looks fun!” Keiko says as she pulls an Elsral from the box. Her first instinct is to hold the two cucumber shaped objects in both hands and close to her face as she tries to figure out how to work them. The resulting pose makes Johann snicker uncontrollably. “What?” she asks.

”Oh…nothing.” He snickers a little more and looks away to the blonde, who’s also handling a slicer. Having yet to fill his perving quota for the day, he takes a moment to look her over. Unfortunately for him, her black and grey storia leggings obscure his favorite body parts in a baggy cover. And having seen a lifetime’s worth of flip flops on a certain someone else, the blonde’s open toed sandals aren’t doing anything for him. So, he settles for the boobage and sets his eyes on the tight, sleeveless white top that describes itself quite well with “Boy Beater” written across the front.

”…Johnny?” she asks, finally notcing that he’s staring.

”I like your shirt, Zoe,” Johann says with a smirk, “reminds me of the first time we met.”

”I’m glad it was as good for your as it was for me,” she says flatly.

”Heh…”

”Yeah, I knew I recognized that thing!” Deuce yells. Having, unwittingly, attracted everyone’s attention, he points to the Elsral that Keiko is still fiddling with. “I went to Moatoob with Laia and Lou a little while ago and we ran into an Illuminus chica. You’d have split her in half, breeder.”

”Good looking out, arse bandit,” Johann says with a nod.

”Right, so yeah, she had that exact same thing our little bambina’s got. She had it floating above her shoulders and it was shooting on its own. Weird ass weapon.” On that advice, Keiko puts one of Elsral’s turrets on her shoulder, only to have it fall off and hit the ground.

”Wait…” Johann says, “how does the Illuminus get prototype weapons before we do?”

”That’s actually a really good question,” Zoe says. “That’s made by GRM, right?” Keiko holds up one of the turrets and indeed, GRM is stamped on it. “When I went up to Hive Laia, I ran into some suspicious GRM equipment. …Well, Hyuga said it was suspicious anyway.”

”He would know…” Johann mutters.

”Some time ago, I accompanied Laia and Maya on an unauthorized infiltration,” Cecilia says, “we were recalled prematurely, but we did encounter some suspect experiments being carried out by GRM.”

”Curiouser, and curiouser…” Johann says. “It seems there’s some link between GRM and Illuminus. …Well, as much as I’d care to sit here and foreshadow with all of you, I had to take my lunch break to make this meeting. I should head back.”

No later than he finishes that sentence, Keiko has run up to him to capture him in a hug. “Okay, bye Jo-sei!”

”What are you touching me so familiarly for?” Johann asks as he looks down at the newman girl’s head. He smirks and puts one arm around her back in return. “Oh, what’s this? You’ve grown a little.”

”Really, I did? Do you think I’m five feet yet?!” Keiko asks as she pulls away.

”Eh? No, that’s not what I meant,” he says. Keiko furrows her brow and Johann twitches a finger towards her chest. “I’d estimate eight millimeters. Though I could give you a more accurate measurement if I were to squeeze-“

”Kyaaa!!!” Keiko yells as she pitches one of Elsral’s turrets at Johann. Even at such close range, Johann manages to sidestep it. He then turns around and flees as throws the second one. “You’re a worthless person, Jo-sei! You’re an enemy of all pure women!”

”Those two have such a close relationship…” Stacy says with a smile as she watches them run off the floor.

~~~~~

So, for the timeline conscious: at this point of the story, Story chapter 8 is set to happen in a few days.