Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

It’s amazing how much work you can get done when you’ve been suspended from one of your main Internet distractions. Anyway, this chapter amuses me, but it’s a bit of a failure in that it doesn’t really do anything to move the plot. Oh well, I like it, so you’ll just have to cope.

Chapter 7: Part-time Frustration

The sun rises on another peaceful and pours its light in through the window of Johann’s loft. One beam of light smacks him in the eye as he sleeps, waking him with a start. He would probably just settle back into sleep before long were it not for the fact that he immediately notices that he’s not in his bed, but still on the couch. His first instinct is to sit up and look around, but feeling some weight pinning him down, he looks himself over and sees Gwen lying on top of him.

”Oh…bugger, what the hell did I do?” he asks. Looking over the side of the makeshift bed, he sees a pile of clothes, and looking back at himself, finally realizes the chill he’s feeling is a result of being clad in only his boxers. Similarly, the woman on top of him is covered up only by Johann’s arms around her. “I hate myself,” he says, smacking the back of his head on the cushions.

On Colony, where it’s a more decent hour, Keiko is getting ready to treat herself to lunch. The cafeteria she has just walked into is well populated, but not so full that she doesn’t have a reasonable choice of seats. She heads to the back of the room and takes a window seat at an empty circular table. From her nano, she takes out a simple meal of rice, shrimp and steamed vegetables. After arranging the square box in front of her, she takes out a pair of chopsticks.

After she has shoveled a few bites in her mouth, she looks up to see that Zoe has strode past her seat and is now settling in the one next to hers with a tray from the cafeteria. “Nowhere else to sit,” Zoe says with her eyes shut as she pushes her seat in.

Keiko blinks and looks around to see if the room has suddenly filled since she has entered, but no, there are just as many free spots now as there were then. So, she shrugs, smiles, and says, “’kay. How’s your day been Zoe?”

”Irritating,” the blonde replies. She holds the back of her neck with her hand and rubs, grimacing as she says, “some idiots on Neudaiz thought it would be a bright idea to do research on live animals. The animals broke out, so I spent the morning cleaning up. They even had a freaking Zoal Goug.”

”Just the morning? Wow Zoe, if that had been me, I’d probably still be down there!” Keiko says, perhaps having missed the irritation in Zoe’s voice as she cheerily compliments her. “Hey, how are you so strong Zoe? Jo-sei and I had ossan and baa-chan to teach us, but who taught you?”

It takes Zoe a few moments to answer as she has her face stuffed with a cheeseburger, but when she does, she says, “no one really. I ran away from home when I was 14 and signed up for Guardians’ basic training. I guess I just put more into it than most people.” She stops for another bite, and then says, “I don’t have any other abilities to support myself with so it’s convenient that I’m good at the one I have.”

”I wish I got money for missions,” Keiko says.

”You…don’t?” Zoe asks.

Keiko pouts and whips her head away. ”No! Baa-chan let me join the Guardians only on the condition that all my earnings go into a trust fund. So I can’t use any of it! I’m so poor. Why do you think I’m eating cold fish?!” she wails, thrusting her palms at her meal.

”That sounds rough. Ever think about a part time job?” Zoe asks.

”Sure…but between training and missions, I don’t have enough free time. I guess it’s not a big deal since I have an allowance, but…”

”You’d rather have a paycheck.”

”Yeah...”

”Try to cheer up a little. It might seem like there aren’t enough hours in the day now, but you’re still a kid. You’ve got nothing but time,” Zoe says. Even though a smile would help that statement along, Zoe just stares ahead with her usual affectless expression.

”Hee, it’s a little weird to have you trying to cheer me up, Zoe,” Keiko says, pushing her hands underneath her chin.

”Hmph, I might not be on an eternal sugar high like Stacy, but I’m not the doom and gloom ice princess everyone thinks I am,” Zoe says, again neglecting the critical smile. “Keiko, don’t turn your head, but behind you to your right, there are two guys working up the nerve to come talk to us.”

”Reh?” Keiko says. She’s about to turn her head, but Zoe catches her by the chin with two fingers and pulls her back.

”What did I just say?” she asks.

”Fft, what does it matter? They probably want to talk to you anyway,” Keiko mutters, the words sounding somewhat muffled since her cheeks are smudged together.

”Yeah, that’s probably true,” Zoe says while tossing her hair, “but, I don’t want to talk to them. So, I’m going to give you a valuable crash course in running interference. So listen closely.”

”Yeesh, it’s amazing that Zoe and Jo-sei ever managed to say hi to each other considering how complicated they make it…”

Later, Keiko’s gone home to Neudaiz. On the steps leading up into the property of Chez Launcher is where she amuses herself by thinking out loud. She’s been sitting there for quite some time, waiting for something in particular; a something that comes walking along the street this very moment.

”Oh, hey there kiddo.” The CEO, dressed like a man coming home from work, stops by Keiko, who stands up to greet him.

”Ossan! I need to talk to you,” she says.

”Hmmkay,” the man replies. He briefly looks down to the little beast girl he has in tow and nods in the direction of the house. The redhead nods and runs off as directed, waving to Keiko along the way. “If this is about training, I’m already pounding what I know into you as fast as possible. Chill out.”

”No, not that. I want a job,” she says.

”Um, Keiko? You’ve already had to cut bathroom breaks down to every other week the way you’ve got your schedule set up these days,” the man says. “Where on Cor- erm, where on Neudaiz would you find the time?”

”I know, I know! But don’t you have some job somewhere that needs a two hour slot filled? Anything would be fine!” she says with her hands clasped together. On her face is a pleading expression dotted with wide, quivering eyes. It’s a look that makes the CEO grimace just by looking at it.

”Okay.”

”Yeah, I didn’t think so,” Keiko says while dropping her hands and head. “Thanks for hearing me out- what?!”

”Sure, I have a job for your particular needs,” the CEO says. He pauses briefly to smirk, and goes on to say, “yes, this is perfect actually. Meet me at Yohmei’s main shop in Ohtoku this time tomorrow. I’ll send a uniform over to your mom.”

”Yes! Yes, thank you ossan! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love you!” By now, Keiko has hopped onto the CEO and thrown her arms around him, forcing him to carry both their weight. After a few moments of this, he leans over and sets her back on the ground, still gushing.

”All right, you’re a little old to be glomping, don’t you think? And hey, don’t get your hopes up about the paycheck. It is minimum wage work, after all.”

”Eeeee!” Keiko yells, running off without having heard a word.

The CEO gently grazes a finger against his forehead and laughs. “Fufufu…this will be entertaining.”

The next day, Keiko steps into Yohmei’s main store. Being, essentially, the boss’ daughter, all the employees give her an exceedingly warm welcome, making her blush. Walking through the sea of waves and sugary greetings, she makes it over to the grinding counter where she sees the CEO waiting.

”Hmm…knew I should have sent an outfit with pads,” he says, looking her over. Keiko just sticks her tongue out and tugs her purple coat over her body. “Anyway, you’re going to be working the grinding counter for the tail end of the 12-6 shift. The woman who normally works it is easing into maternity leave, so this works out well for everyone.”

”Okay, got it. I’ll do my best!”

”I know you will sweetheart,” he says. He leans over and pecks her on the forehead and again says, “I know you will.”

Later, Keiko has gotten settled behind the counter and is shining with all the exuberance of a first day of work. Up to now, everytime someone has come in through the main door, she’d begun to bounce in anticipation, only to sigh when it turned out they just came into use the tools counter. But, patience finally rewards her with her very first customer; a human brunette strutting up to her counter that’s paying more attention to her simple mail than where she’s going.

”Hello, and welcome to Yohmei! How can I help-“

Not even looking up from her texting, the human tosses an ulteri onto the counter. Keiko bites her lower lip, but holds up her smile. “Okay, I just need to go over the disclaimer with you then.”

”Whatever girlie, just grind it up to 10,” the human says while tossing a scattered variety of A grinders at Keiko.

Keiko picks up the chips and, sorting through them, sees that they’re mostly A+5s. She grimaces and raises a finger to get the woman’s attention, but the clickity clack of her simple mail doesn’t cease for even a second. “Uh, miss, I don’t think this is such a great idea-“

”Just do your freaking job! I’m a guardian, see?!” she says, holding up the Guardians’ Tag affixed to her line shield. “I don’t got time for this!”

Keiko sighs and proceeds to open up the photon cage. Since the first grinds are the easiest, she starts with the weakest grinder available, an A+3, and applies the prongs of the chip to the feelers inside the cage’s reactor. The chip dumps its charge successfully and Keiko proceeds to the next, which also goes smoothly. Miraculously, this keeps up for the next six grinds, by which point, Keiko is a shivering wreck while the brunette is still texting away without a care.

”Ah miss? This next grind is probably not a good idea…”

”I said take it to ten! Freaking Light…”

The poor little newman groans and puts the chip into the cage. Almost as soon as the prongs hit the feelers, a web of cracks shoots along the ulteri’s cage. “Oh…miss, I apologize, but this ulteri is destroyed beyond repair.”

Finally, the brunette looks up from her simple mail and sees her ulteri in ruins. Her face scrunches up as she slams her hands on the desk and bows over to get all up in Keiko’s grill. “What the hell is the matter with you?! Do you know how much an ulteri costs?! How could you freaking break it?!”

”S-sorry?”

”Ugh, stupid bitch!” the human screams, stomping out of the building. Keiko whimpers, and in that moment, a tiny bit of her innocence is brutally sodomized.

Outside, the human pulls off a wig, digs pads out of her shirt and wipes makeup off with the back of her palm. “Hee hee, I’d better pace myself. This is too much fun,” the CEO says.

~~~~~

I think I made a mistake in making Zoe human. Given a chance to go back, I would make her a caseal. Her affect and demeanor are much more suited to being a caseal, and it’d make her strength more believable. Plus, it would make perfect sense that Johann’s first love was a caseal, being a momma’s boy and all. Oh well.

Connect the Dots!: Grinding

Grinding is simple, at least, in theory. You take a grinder chip, which resembles a 9V battery, and place it into the photon cage. The cage then mutates slightly from the stress of the added photons and increases its capacity slightly.

Now, the reason it’s difficult in practice, is because grinding is a lot like merging onto a highway. Inside the cage, there are already photons, racing around at the speed of light. To add more photons, the grinder has to slip them into a gap in the stream. If the added photons collide with the photons already there, the latter group gets knocked off its plotted course and smashes against the cage where it’s not designed to be hit.

The better the chip (+1 vs. +10), the less photons it drips per application, lessening the chance of this disastrous collision.

You got suspended from Gamefaqs?

And...yeah. This doesn't do much plot-wise. >_>

Still, it's some interesting insights into the characters. And I'm sure Hahn'll have plenty to say about Keiko's day job.

I am as surprised as you are.

Poor Keiko, you gotta take it easier on her.

And whaaaaaat? What the heck did you do over at GFAQs?

Hey, abuse comes standard with screen time. You knew that when you signed on. What's that? You didn't sign on? You're not accusing me of forging your signature on this legal document, are you?

I reposted a spoiler page at OT. With the new policy on scans (we can't post full pages of copyrighted material anymore), it got modded. What surprised me is I figured that'd be a Warn, especially with my spotless record. But no, they jumped straight to suspension. Must've touched a nerve.

Oh we all know how well behaved the moderation team is there.

All righty, today, we have a small break in the lack of stabby. I would have told you about it sooner, but I wanted it to be a surprise. For reasons that will soon be apparent…to some of you, anyway. Remember how last week did zilch for the plot? We're making up for that today.

Chapter 8: Long Lost Cousins

For the past couple of days, life has been uncomplicated in Gurhal. Sure, de ragans haven’t stopped attacking and rogues are still hijacking trains, but all in all, it’s been pretty relaxed for a system that’s waiting on a large scale terrorist attack. This holds especially true in Rozenom, where Johann is in the middle of another day’s honest work in the lab. He’s just now entering the exam room where Alice is waiting as usual in her gown, along with Elyham who is standing beside her.

”I was just finishing up, Dr. Launcher,” Elyham says as she pulls a small wire out from a port beneath Alice’s tongue. She wipes the head off on her light blue blouse, rolls up the wire and places it on the counter opposite the exam table. Tucking her laptop against her tummy with both hands, she turns to Johann who has already got his smoke on. “It’s as you guessed, Dr. Launcher. There’s definitely a partition in Miss Archelle’s operating system.”

”I never do get sick of being told I’m right,” Johann says. He smirks as he sucks in a drag from his cancer stick and nods, prompting Elyham to continue.

”Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to access much pertaining to it,” she says. Letting her eyes droop to the side, she says, “sorry.”

”I expected as much. Tell me what you did find.”

”I’m pretty confident in saying that Alice is a child account,” Elyham says. She pauses, and turns to Alice to say, “no offense.” Alice just nods with a smile, letting Elyham go on. “It seems there’s only one other account, the master one. It’s named ‘Alicia Lovelace,’ if that means anything to you?”

Johann frowns at the slight touch of familiarity he hears in the name. He stands for several moments, cigarette in hand, as he follows the fine thread of thought in his mind to the source. And like a faucet that suddenly becomes unclogged, the memory comes rushing in. “Yes. Yes, it does, actually. I’m just not sure what, yet. Is that everything Elyham?”

”I didn’t make much headway on that front, so I spent a little time on the black box you told us about,” Elyham says.

”And?”

”Well…hmm, it’ll be easier to demonstrate.” Elyham picks up the wire she put away and reconnects it to her laptop. After offering the other end to Alice, she clicks open some programs as Johann walks over to peer over her shoulder. “I’m not sure how deep I’ve managed to penetrate, but I’ve accessed the black box program.”

”It’s a clock,” Johann says. That’s something of an understatement, as there’s a module for measuring time in every single way imaginable up on Elyham’s screen right now. There are calendars, clocks, digital sandglasses, and even a scarily intricate stellar chart. But, essentially, Johann is right. “I sincerely doubt that a reactor with output in the zettawatts was meant to power a glorified pocketwatch.”

”I…don’t know what to tell you, Dr. Launcher,” Elyham says, nibbling on her thumb.

”Change the date,” Johann says.

”Huh?”

”In this program, change the date. Perhaps the error message will tell us something,” Johann says.

”Okay. To when?” Elyham asks, fingers over her keyboard. Johann just sneers and shrugs, letting her take that to mean, ‘does it matter?’ So, Elyham fiddles with every option she has, changing time, date, and even scrambling the stellar chart until she’s ready to hit ‘OK.’ And so she does, to, seemingly, no effect. She and Johann wait for several moments, waiting for the results of the variables they’ve screwed with.

”Save state confirmed. Initiating photon cascade,” a monotone voice says. Johann and Elyham immediately look up from the screen, up at Alice, and see that she’s covering up her mouth with both hands. “I-I didn’t say that!”

”What the…” Johann walks over to Alice with merely a furrowed brow. That expression of mild curiosity quickly turns into one of alarm when Alice begins to glow. Johann runs over, and as he does, he is caught behind a curtain of light that drops around Alice.

”Aegis Launcher!” Elyham cries as the light intensifies.

”This is going to be one of those days.” Elsewhere, light only knows where, Johann stands unharmed. The first thing he does after that bit of whining is look around. The most distinguishing feature of his surroundings is the transparent roof that lends a spectacular view of the stars above. That, combined with the cloistered atmosphere of an urban settlement, prompts Johann to wonder, “am I on Colony?”

He starts walking, but out of the corner of his eye, he sees something that catches his interest. All of the items in his nanotransformer have been laid out on the ground, neatly arranged. “The hell?” he asks, looking at his nano. Seeing that it’s offline, he groans and picks up his briefcase first. He then shoves everything else on the ground inside of it, with the exception of his wand. That, he places inside his coat.

”Was there really a place like this inside Colony?” Johann wonders aloud as he walks. What bothers him as he lets his head turn to take in his surroundings is that his current environment seems much more open than any place on Colony. The ceiling is several hundred feet above his head, and the horizon reaches far out, allowing him to see a bustling city of lights below. “Well, where else could I be?”

Where indeed. He continues walking, ever off put by his unfamiliar surroundings. Eventually, he comes to a more populated, though tiny, area. Seeing the types of people coming through here, he breathes a little easier and thinks, “ah, I must be on Colony. These outfits are Guardians’ uniforms. …A bit archaic though. Eustace must be up to something.

That’s enough sightseeing, though it was interesting to see a part of Colony I’ve never been to. There must be a warp I can take to the spaceport somewhere…” Now that he’s relaxed, Johann starts noticing that some of the people walking around this lobby sized space are huddled around a rounded counter. Curious, he walks up to see what’s there. What catches his eye though, is not the human woman in blue with airbag sized funbags that is staffing the counter, but a newman woman in front of it. Specifically, he’s eyeing her choker, and the Pinkal crest it is adorned with.

That’s…the design on my radiance limiter. Did they sell the copyrights to a jewelry manufacturer…?” he thinks, transfixed.

”Excuse me, but how long to you plan to just stare like that?” the woman asks. Johann jumps, realizing that, with him being a couple inches taller, it looks as if he’s been staring into her creamy white cleavage. And really, if he hadn’t been preoccupied with the choker, that probably would have been the case. Wrapped in a black dress that hugs the curves and leaves a slit up the leg, there’s plenty a good image to meticulously burn into one’s mind.

”Hmm? Oh, apologies,” Johann says, adjusting his eyes to look at the woman’s freckled face. He turns on his heel and steps to leave, but is stopped when the crook of his shoulder is gripped tightly. Tightly enough, that it actually registers on his face as mild surprise.

”What’s this?” the newman asks, “you grope me with your eyes, say ‘apologies’ and just try to walk away?!” she says, shoving her face up into his.

”I don’t know what you want from me,” Johann says with a shrug.

”How about you say you’re sorry?!” she says, putting her hands on her hips. Plenty of room for them there, by the way.

”I…did…say…sorry,” Johann says, carefully going over the past few seconds in his head to make sure his understanding of them is correct. Having dealt with many a hysterical woman in his lifetime, most of them driven hysterical by himself, Johann isn’t panicking yet. Rather, he’s doing his best to make the expression on his face as passive and unassuming as possible, even as the frustration mounts on the woman’s.

”Oh…yeah, you did,” she says, while running a hand through her purple hair and whipping her face away from him. After a moment of silence, Johann rolls his eyes and starts to walk away again, which incenses the girl, again. “Hey, I’m not the bad guy here! You’re the pervert!”

”I might be the bad guy, but seeing as I got an eyeful of boob, I’d say I’m also the winner,” Johann says. It’s an off the cuff comment he tosses over his shoulder, and he’s expecting to walk away, leaving it at that. As he’s walking away though, careful to make sure the drape of his coat is swaying with style, the woman runs up behind him, jumps onto his head and hops in front of him.

”Listen here, you meat head!” she says, thrusting her finger at Johann who’s picking himself up out of the ground, “you did something wrong, and you don’t just get to walk away all dignified!”

”Good light, you are annoying,” Johann says while bracing his neck with an open palm. “Tch, you remind me of someone I know, actually,” he mutters. “Anyway, what the hell is it you want?”

”Argh, newbies like you are the annoying ones!” the woman says, thrusting her slender arms underneath her bust.

”I note you didn’t answer the question,” Johann says, narrowing his face into a frown. “…And who in bloody hell are you calling a newbie?”

”It’s written all over you. You’re obviously some FOnewm fresh out of basic,” the woman says. She turns her body away, thinking to deny Johann the sight of her jumblies, but she doesn’t see the glee light up on Johann’s face when her taut derriere is pointed at him in its place.

”FOnewm? Okay, two things wrong with that. One, I haven’t been Force since…well, forever. And two, I’m a beast, not a newman.” Though his tone maintains its annoyance, Johann tilts his head to get a better look at how the lighting brings out the creases on her rump. “Bloody Maiden. Whoever raised you was clearly a boorish cretin.”

Right there, the mild disdain on the woman’s face flashes into genuine rage. She takes two steps to put her face up in Johann’s and coolly breathes into his face, “you’re going to take that back.”

Johann just sneers and says, “make me.” Within a blink, the two have their wands out. Johann holds his up in front of his face to parry a club to his nose. Thinking that it’s just a newman, he smirks while he holds at bay with one hand. “My, you really do have a nasty temperament.”

”I’ll have you know that I’m a lovely person to people that aren’t jackasses!” the woman yells. After yelling, a flash of blue precedes a torrent of frosty air that slams into Johann. He backs up as ice collects on his body, but only makes it a few steps before he’s encased in an ice block. Lucky for him, it doesn’t take long to thrust his hand out from his prison and shrug off what has accumulated on his shoulders.

”Holy crap, someone’s actually fighting Ayame!” someone at the counter yells.

While scraping some frost off his cravat, Johann looks over his shoulder to see a couple “guardians” looking on with interest. “I guess you’re Ayame?” he asks. He just gets a sour pout in response. “Why don’t I introduce you to your limits?” With that, Johann raises two fingers, pointed at Ayame and lets loose a Zonde at point blank.

Fft, what’s wrong with me? A shrill voiced girl like this shouldn’t be getting under my skin,” he thinks as he channels his golden stream of lightning. When he sees his Zonde being rebuffed, he redirects his attention and stops casting. He frowns, seeing that a whole torrent of electricity was warded by a single, dainty hand that hasn’t even has its nail polish tarnished.

”See, like I said, newbie! You’d better just hurry up and apologize before you get hurt!”

”Tch…I wasn’t trying to hurt you, so I held back. But, if you can take it…” The Save the Maiden’s crescent shaped photon cage lengthens into its bladed form and Johann slices it around with flicks from his wrist. “Then give me all you have.”

~~~~~

Ooo, it’s on now.
    Last edited by Xaeris; Aug 3, 2009 at 02:53 AM.

I'm going to assume that this bit is a teaser towards the mysteries that seem plot-centric enough to not be revealed until much later.

Anyway.

“Bloody Maiden. Whoever raised was clearly a boorish cretin.”
    I think there should be a "you" in there. More importantly, lol. >_>

Not sure if this is some sort of interactive recording or what. I'd guess by her reaction and that of the bystanders that it's post-Successor, whenever/whatever it is. She wouldn't be so touchy (or recognized) otherwise.

Of course, this means that now I'm going to spend the remainder of this week trying to figure out where "Alicia Lovelace" was mentioned, as it does sound familiar.

I look forward to more. And by "look forward to", I mean "searching frantically for something to bribe you into writing faster".

*For those who haven't read his older stuff, Ayame's a character from that, like the CEO-that-shall-not-be-named. It was set in the PSO world.

Yes, it's going to be a while until I can bring the ceiling crashing down on 100+ chapters of foreshadowing. But, I will offer a small hint: at some point, there will be a CtD on Rollbacks. And it will be my magnum opus of BS.

That being said, go back to the end of the Dezolis arc to scratch that other itch.

For the past couple of days, life has been uncomplicated in Gurhal. Sure, de ragans haven’t stopped attacked and rogues are still hijacking trains,
    ”I never do get stick of being told I’m right,” Johann says. He smirks as he sucks in a drag from his cancer stick and nods, prompting Elyham to continue.
    Just joining Magus in pointing out stuff.

Alicia Lovelace = Lamia Loveless

Also, seems like my PSU account has been cancelled, it's not gone but I think my mother (who was paying for it for me) had it cancelled. Tis sad, but it's not like I was getting on much anyway, plus I'll be playing Aion come the end of next month.