Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Comparing My First S-Rank Experiences

My first ever character in the Japanese version is pretty much how I've been recreating this entire time. Male Human Braver, or BRmar named 飯綱. Since then, I have recreated that exact same character many times, and now I've gotten to the point of doing my first S-Rank mission with it in the English version.

Here is a picture of my first S-Rank run, with my very first character:

I'm LV121, still using the Dark Mirage Blast, and have come across three rare enemies. This battle took me a very long time, since all I was using then was a Double Saber with Cyclone Dance. What did they drop? Nothing.

This picture was uploaded on 01-17-2010, or 17th January.

Today, 09-29-2010, or 29th September, I come across a similar experience in an English version.

This is a Male Human Vanguard, or VAmar. It has a Japanese name because this character was born on the Japanese version, then carried over with the help of Custom Firmware. Keiko, my 440, has been with me since my first ever PM on PSU.

This time, the battle was much easier. With a ridiculous amount of hours of experience, I've come prepared. 21 levels lower, and a better palette.

What have I learnt?: Bring Party Members along -> PP High Boost is better than PP Restore Rate -> Ground Mirage Blast is boss -> Spiral Dance is boss, as is Absolute Dance -> and EX Traps are god-tier.

When I played the Japanese version it was v1.00, where Traps could exploit and build a chain like so:

Spoiler!

Almost as if my time put into Phantasy Star Portable 2 has paid off, I've noticed something very strange about the English version...

Rare Items are more frequent... It must be; not only have I gotten MANY Double Agitos, Mugunteks, and so forth... I'd be extremely lucky for this to happen on my very first S-Rank run:

Which brings me to my question: has anyone else noticed this supposed increased drop rate? Or am I luckier than my previous self?
    Last edited by Izuna; Sep 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
    Vanguard Race Guide ~ Japanese DLC In All Regions
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.

I've gotten plenty of rares (none in white boxes yet) but I never get the rares I'm looking for, but that's common game logic.

PSP2 US: D'Ante - Human - Male - Level 150 - [VA 28] [HU 10] [RA 12] [FO 10] - Battle Rank: F - Challenge Rank: Elite
    No matter how hard the challenge or how great the fall this indomitable spirit will always stand tall..
    Titles left: 17 Comp, 7 Collect, 4 Challenge, 8 Battle, 1 Special

I know of someone who got 2 Tumikiri Hyoris from Gemaga (they physically drop from Shizuru now) back to back and another person who got them at level 90 ish.

I just got a Vijerina Weave on my first go... Something's up yo.
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.

Damn, you weren't kidding. The rare boxes do look cool.

I wanna say you are luckier, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Izuna View Post
    Something's up yo.
    I don't know if they're more common, or what. I, like you, Izuna, found a Svaltia Tomahawk within my first three runs of Seabed Ruins S. It came in a bad percent, however, so I've been trying to get another one. I've done 30 or so runs, and another still hasn't dropped.

Some days the rares just fall at my feet (never any really good ones), but other days, I'll play all day and won't get jack shit. So, I'm torn on the subject.

Maybe they up'd the drop rate because they didn't think we were as willing to farm as the people in Japan?

Dunno about in Europe but I find to tend people in America aren't as willing to continue to look for items if they don't get it soon.
    Last edited by Infinite Eternity; Sep 26, 2010 at 11:38 AM.

PSP2 US: D'Ante - Human - Male - Level 150 - [VA 28] [HU 10] [RA 12] [FO 10] - Battle Rank: F - Challenge Rank: Elite
    No matter how hard the challenge or how great the fall this indomitable spirit will always stand tall..

An Afternoon Book Burning modoru's Avatar

As far as the topic goes, yeah, I get what you mean. I got a random crimson doing some plains overlord runs for grinding.

@Infinite ; You, sir, have not met the FFXI community, then. :C
    ship02 / playerID: modos / the pso2es dream is dead

I just got 4 huge cutters in a row and I have 5 from this one Military Subway run and I'm only on the 2nd block.

I know what it's like to run a lot of missions to get something but you're right, I haven't met too many others willing to.

I just got a Killer Elite, I'm now certain there's something influencing the rare drops. Not only that, I got another Vijerina Weave. There's someone on the MSN chat who got the Twin Handguns (Yas) on an A Rank mission.