Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
    Um... no, I'm pretty sure Pokemon is still well above average in depth as far as the systems go. (Mostly because of breeding, etc.)
    We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. I don't see see the breeding, natures, EV/IV stuff, et cetera, as anything more than stat treadmill time sinks. The battling itself still boils down to the same maddeningly slow turn based rock-paper-scissors game we've been playing since the dawn of history. When I think of a really deep turn-based RPG, I think Final Fantasy Tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfCoffee View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess. I don't see see the breeding, natures, EV/IV stuff, et cetera, as anything more than stat treadmill time sinks. The battling itself still boils down to the same maddeningly slow turn based rock-paper-scissors game we've been playing since the dawn of history. When I think of a really deep turn-based RPG, I think Final Fantasy Tactics.
    Final Fantasy Tactics is basically just a stat treadmill too - grind for best skills, waste everything.
    Coming Soon!

Yeah, but the actual fights are always really different and require to you to think about positioning, what different guys you want to bring, which enemy units to take out first, etc. Even something more simple and traditional like Chrono Trigger lets you combine attacks and equip armors with different properties. Pokemon almost always just turns into trying to sweep the enemy team as fast as possible, or turtling and wearing them down with Toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfCoffee View Post
    You've got a good point. Depth isn't acquired simply by having a lot of variations on the same stuff. Depth is acquired by having different "stuff" and having many variations on the combinations you can make with this "stuff".

In other words, EVs don't add much depth because they just strengthen the stats you already have. The end result is the same you, you get higher stats just like you would if you could level up further (though, you do get to choose which stats go up, so I guess a little bit of depth is added, though not nearly as much as it's given credit for).
    On the other hand, having Special attacks and physical attacks rather than just having "attacks" as one category does add depth, because now the player must choose whether they want a Pokemon with powerful special attacks or powerful physical attacks. Then the player must combine that Pokemon with other Pokemon whose stat choices compliment each other.

The more options/combinations you have, the more depth there is to your combat system (assuming they're well balanced options, see: "Extra Creditz: Perfect Imbalance" for a good explanation on how to achieve this. I don't agree with the whole video, but the first 2-3 minutes really touch on a good point).
    Last edited by Kyrith_Ranger_Pso; Dec 26, 2012 at 04:20 PM.

Game of the Year -I hardly ever play single player games, so besides League of Legends I'll have to say Sonic Generations. Yup, I had a lot of fun and it enveloped all of the awesome nostalgia from the past games, mixing the best of the old with the best of the new.

I had a ton of fun and the game was gorgeous to boot. It also had just the right difficulty where it was challenging for me, but not frustratingly challenging.

Disappointment of the Year - Going to have to go with PSO2 like many others. This is not because it's a bad game, but because of some of the absurd expectations I (and many others, I'm sure) had about the game. I wanted it to be a revitalization of PSO1 and put me through the epic atmosphere and long-winded hours of adventure I used to go through.

Instead, I got really awesome combat, pretty decent graphics, and a game with problems riddled into every suffering F2P MMO. As much as I love the action and feel that a lot of the changes were for the better, I can't help but think that nothing felt immersive whatsoever. Maybe it's the short levels, maybe it's that you can skip every mob - I can't put my finger on it.

What I will say is that the addiction just wasn't there. My first time through Forest, I was bedazzled. When I went through Free Forest, it took me a very long time and I was experiencing the enticing nostalgia that had impacted me in the first game, with a long area, beautiful rain effects, and a strong sense of connection to the world.

As I adapted, it lacked the immersion completely and though PSO and PSU felt grindy, PSO2 feels grindy and restrictive. What I can hope is they plan on adjusting these mishaps in the future and perhaps "westernize" the game a bit better on international release (which is sad, because it was never necessary before.)
    Last edited by DreXxiN; Dec 26, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
    #1 International MAG+ TA Champion in PSU. Co-Founder of Royalz

Game of the Year: Mass Effect 3 or Far Cry 3. Both games just made go WOWWWWW the whole way through.

Surprise of the Year: Minecraft Xbox 360 edition. I was one of those guys who was like "lol Minecraft I can't believe anyone plays this game!" and then I played it and quite enjoyed it.

Disappointment of the Year: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. When this game was announced, and after learning upon the initial concept, I was sure that this would be the successor to the Left 4 Dead series. But then time went on and more actual footage and information was released and it looked grimmer and grimmer. Then I bought it a week after release and was SO DISAPPOINTED beyond relief. Capcom made such a stupid decision to give the project to a failure of a gaming company such as Slant Six.

Worst game of the Year: Resident Evil: ORC. I hate how bad this game turned out. It really annoys me so much.

The Perfect Program Rin Kagamine's Avatar

Worst game and my most hated game series of the year is still the mass effect series and the people who nominated it rpg of the year are probaly related to the same people who nominated beiber for an emmy.The reason I hate it is because of the lame story the game constantly asking me what i wanna do next which is why it got rpg of the year woah dudes! army of two must be an rpg too oh and dragons lair too!hidious character design, repetitive gameplay,donkey permission,twitchy character glitches no good music.every bioware game does the choose your ending crap and i only liked sonic chronicles wanted to play a good rpg thats about space id play any star ocean game over it

My disappointment of the year is Playstation allstars battle royale is very fun online but kratos ruins it because all u have to do with kratos is spam square so i cant play as my main Toro so i usually hop on radec and spam his sniper until everyone rage quits or at least until the person playing as kratos gets mad oh and as a bonus i got the trophy where u win a ranked match without dying because of the mad kratos

My favorite games this year are tales of graces which wasnt as good as tales of vesperia but had4 mystic artes for each character i enjoyed playing as pascal shes no rita mordio tho.Hyper Dimension Neptunia was an amazing revolutionary game it allows u to take pictures from your ps3 and reveal them during the attack process.My enemys got alot of hatsune miku umad pics epic sailor moon style transformation and attacks but more like if sailor moon attached cyber armor if she transformed,great music fantastic create your own combo turn based jrpg did i mention the whole story is based on the console wars?the character purple heart actually represents sega black heart is the ps3 green heart is the 360 and white heart is the wii, its full of comedy and an sorry guys but its an all female cast.

The sequel hypedimension neptunia mk2 is better and got and m rating for revealing character outfits and it introduces new characters its also A game spoof about game piracy

m looking forward to hyper dimension neptunia victory the 3rd installment of the series which introduces a new character named yellow heart.

I also enjoyed acceleration of suguri X edition which had an amazing battle music track, A hilarious manga style story to it with intresting personalitys and its an epic fighting game but again sorry guys only one male and hes pervy and emo. i play as kae the spunky fire chick whos Ba cuz she can create clones of her self and massive exposions fire and destruction i wish it was online competive that would be way more fun if it was but i have to torture computers instead.I also played outland for the 1st time since i got it free with playstation plus and it was fun if u like metroid youll like outland . i dont recommend playing online multiplayer due to people with nat type 3 which lag is catastrophic on outland because its a platformer.

Record of agarest war 2 was amazing a new system where u can choose your class and what type of weapons u wanna use.Fun harem style dating simulator and epic story about a man who slays a god which causes a catastrophy on the world loses his memory and goes on an adventure to restore the god he mistakenly destroyed oh and great music the agarest series is my favorite jrps series and its playstation exclusive and xbox people only gave it a bad rating because theyre jealous

Sorry some of these are old games but theyre my top games of the year and the mass effect series is my trash of the year bag it and tag it.
    Last edited by Rin Kagamine; Dec 27, 2012 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rin Kagamine View Post
    Worst game and my most hated game series of the year is still the mass effect series and the people who nominated it rpg of the year are probaly related to the same people who nominated beiber for an emmy.the reason i hate it is because of the lame story the game constantly asking me what i wanna do next which is why it got rpg of the year woah dudes! army of two must be an rpg too oh and dragons lair too!hidious character design, repetitive gameplay,donkey permission,twitchy character glitches no good music.every bioware game does the choose your ending crap and i only liked sonic chronicles .if i wanted to play a good rpg thats about space id play any star ocean game over it.My disappointment of the year. Playstation allstars battle royale is very fun online but kratos ruins it because all u have to do with kratos is spam square so i cant play as my main Toro so i usually hop on radec and spam his sniper until everyone rage quits or at least until the person playing as kratos gets mad oh and as a bonus i got the trophy where u win a ranked match without dying because of the mad kratos.My favorite games this year are tales of graces which wasnt as good as tales of vesperia but had4 mystic artes for each character i enjoyed playing as pascal shes no rita mordio tho. Hyper Dimension Neptunia was an amazing revolutionary game it allows u to take pictures from your ps3 and reveal them during the attack process.you My enemys got alot of hatsune miku umad pics epic sailor moon style transformation and attacks but more like if sailor moon attached cyber armor if she transformed and an sorry guys but its an all female cast.i also enjoyed acceleration of suguri X edition which had a hilarious manga style story to it with intresting personalitys and its an epic fighting game but again sorry guys only one male and hes pervy and nerdy. i play as kae the spunky fire chick whos Ba cuz she can create clones of her self and massive exposions fire and destructioni wish it was online competive that which would be way more fun if it was but i have to torture computers instead i also played outland for the 1st time since i got it free with playstation plus and it was fun if u like metroid youll like outland . i dont recommend playing online multiplayer due to people with nat type 3 which lag is catastrophic on outland because its a platformer.Record of agarest war 2 was amazing a new system where u can choose your class and what type of weapons u wanna use fun harem style dating simulator and epic story about a man who slays a god which causes a catastrophy on the world loses his memory and goes on an adventure to restore god he mistakenly destroyed the agarest series is my favorite jrps series and its playstation 3 exclusive and ppl on xbox only gave it negative comments because theyre jealous lulz.Sorry some of these are old games but theyre my top games of the year and the mass effect series is my trash of the year bag it and tag it.

Actually, in terms of disappointing games this year: Super Mario 3D land.
    I got mad hyped, but got mad disappointed. :<

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

The Perfect Program Rin Kagamine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sayara View Post

lol that image is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayara View Post
    Why's that? I thought Super Mario 3D Land was actually pretty spiffy. The logical bridge between Super Mario 3/World and Super Mario 64 that happened all these years later. And it's by far a hell of a lot more "New" than anything in the "New" Super Mario Bros. series.

Cold as winter, guns of summer. Point and watch them run.
    Which PSO-W Member Are You?