Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FOnewm hate?

Just wondering about something. Until PSO:BB came along I hadn't been online since the DC days. My favorite class has always been the FOnewm, but they were much maligned by many players due to their specialty in room-nuking techniques and their lack of support boosts.

I've seen more than one thread here pointing this out, and encountered some hate in-game as well. This is despite the fact that I *do* try and not demolish the room before the others can gather their share of the EXP. I spend the rest of the time on each group supporting, using my big Techs to soften up the mobs.

What is wrong with this picture? Is it jealousy? Too many bad FOnewm players? Let me know what you think, please.

Online and in offline multiplay, the techs can cause damage cancel (at least on GC and XBox), and do less damage than solo (due to solo enemies having lower resists). Other character classes (HUnters, RAngers, and melee FOrces) don't need TP to attack, so you are basically wasting TP if you damage cancel. Damage cancelling could mess up someone's "train of thought" (I know it isn't this, but that's the only thing I could think of right now) in how many hits it takes to take down an enemy.

You could save TP by just tagging the enemies once, using Jellen or Zalure, and only nuke in rooms where there are no party members.

Sadly, damage cancel still exists in Blue Burst.
    As a sidenote, Jellen and Zalure can damage cancel too.

On 2005-06-08 17:47, Ketchup345 wrote:
    Online and in offline multiplay, the techs can cause damage cancel (at least on GC and XBox), and do less damage than solo (due to solo enemies having lower resists). Other character classes (HUnters, RAngers, and melee FOrces) don't need TP to attack, so you are basically wasting TP if you damage cancel. Damage cancelling could mess up someone's "train of thought" (I know it isn't this, but that's the only thing I could think of right now) in how many hits it takes to take down an enemy.

You could save TP by just tagging the enemies once, using Jellen or Zalure, and only nuke in rooms where there are no party members.
    Thanks for the reply.

What you say is true, but as I am generally the first person in the room, I can, say, cast RAfoie to tag the enemies, J/Z, Resta, etc. I see nothing wrong with this, yet so many others do. If I see someone in trouble, sure, I'll nuke the hell out of the enemies to keep them alive. I've been berated for this too. Bizarre, to me, that people you know, might actually like to stay alive.

I'm trying to gather a group opinion here, so please, negative or positive, let me know what you guys think.

On 2005-06-08 17:56, Tycho wrote:
    Sadly, damage cancel still exists in Blue Burst.
    As a sidenote, Jellen and Zalure can damage cancel too.
    Ok.

But Jellen/Zalure is often acceptable, due to the need for FOrces to tag somehow, and the techs don't do damage that may mess up someone's "mental Enemy HP Calculator;" or something... .

*thinks for a minute*

Okay so it's perfectly acceptable for, say, a Ranger with a shot-type weapon to come in and blast 5 enemies at a time, or a Hunter to cut a bloody swathe through enemies before I can ever tag them. But, me, I'm harped on for one or two instances of 'damage cancel' while simultaneously softening up enemies and keeping the party alive and buffed?

Hardly seems fair.

I read it on PSOW, so it must be true

Both the hunters and rangers can damage cancel, but they're doing more damage and the FOnewms tech cancelling does less damage (If that made any sesne, I'll need someone to word that better >_>)

Anyways, I like FOnewms, especially offline (They destroy offline like no other class ), and their lack of boosts is nothing to whine about. "Wah wah I'm hurt." Heal yourself? "Wah wah I'm weak without S/D" considering the rooms in PSO aren't amazingly huge, it won't take long to reach. And FOnewms huge MST/TP more than make up for the lack of boosts.

On 2005-06-08 18:54, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
    Both the hunters and rangers can damage cancel, but they're doing more damage and the FOnewms tech cancelling does less damage (If that made any sesne, I'll need someone to word that better >_>)

Anyways, I like FOnewms, especially offline (They destroy offline like no other class ), and their lack of boosts is nothing to whine about. "Wah wah I'm hurt." Heal yourself? "Wah wah I'm weak without S/D" considering the rooms in PSO aren't amazingly huge, it won't take long to reach. And FOnewms huge MST/TP more than make up for the lack of boosts.
    Precisely. I like FOnewms for those very reasons, and many more (I'm one of the few that LIKES their costume and hair sets).

However, I hesitate to agree with you on "they're doing more damage and the FOnewms techs" ,etc. Honestly, one swing of a Hunters blade, one shot from a Rangers guns, add up the total damage it does to all enemies, compared to one fully-powered RAfoie, spread out over a huge mob of enemies.

I think the damage potential of a FOnewm is pretty dern high in that situation, and could easily contribute to the overall survivability of a party.

The damage cancel to me feels more like the Force is mildly inconveniencing the Hunters/Rangers in exchange for making things better overall, and honestly, I don't see why a Force must tip-toe around the brutes while they get to do whatever they want. Again, it really doesn't seem fair.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russian on 2005-06-08 19:30 ]</font>

The only time I even care at all about Damage cancel is in c-mode. THe rest of the time, who really cares? Damage cancel is just the servers way of being stupid anyway.

I think the only thing you might possibly be doing wrong, is if the player you're with just horribly sucks, and you have to save his hide in every room. Then there'd be reason to complain.

Maybe its just that most people have ego complexes and want to be the star of the show?

On 2005-06-08 20:16, Tancient wrote:
    The only time I even care at all about Damage cancel is in c-mode. THe rest of the time, who really cares? Damage cancel is just the servers way of being stupid anyway.

I think the only thing you might possibly be doing wrong, is if the player you're with just horribly sucks, and you have to save his hide in every room. Then there'd be reason to complain.

Maybe its just that most people have ego complexes and want to be the star of the show?
    That's kinda one thing I have been thinking about. I did mention jealousy up top. I know a lot of people get wow'd by my ability to clear a room in a few spells, some people think it's cool, some people complain.

I think there's two kinds of FOnewms, personally. Good ones and Bad ones, simply.

Bad ones overnuke a room and keep the party from participating as (gasp!) a *party* who all concentrate on the thing that they excel at. Bad FOnewms have to learn to back off the nuke button, and instead use their spells as a meat tenderizer on the pack instead of killing everything.

Good FOnewms have learned that lesson already, and they come in, RAfoie usually, keep the party alive and buffed, and rescue any party mates in trouble. That's how I see it. This allows the FOnewm to continue to do what they do best while still being good support. I'm not a frickin' FOmarl. I'm not going to spend my time hanging back and babysitting the party. That's not what a FOnewm is for.

I'm gathering that this damage cancel thing is really the only main problem. I think one of the main things I see in every 'How to be a Force'-type guides is, hey these are guidelines. You're supposed to develop your own style, not fit into some cookie-cutter support mold.

Isn't that what this game is all about?