Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I noticed the other day when I went into a local Target store in the state here that they were carrying both the Broadband and Dial Up adapters for the GC, something they haven't done for almost two years now. I couldn't believe it when I saw them hanging from the shelves there.

What I don't understand though is why they would be selling the dial up adapter now. As far as I know, PSO 1, 2, 3, and Plus were the only games on GC that used it, and Target stopped carrying these games a while ago. The Broadband adapter could be used for LAN parties with Mario Kart Double Dash and maybe a few other games, but as far as I know, not many.

Seeing these peripherals on the shelves again at a major retailer made me wonder if Nintendo was going to release another online game for the GC sometime soon. A friend of mine at another site pointed out today that Nintendo has once again begun actively selling the broadband adapters.

Does anybody know anything about why this is happening? I feel like my fragile little lack of online content gaming world is caving in around me!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trypticon on 2005-10-04 22:59 ]</font>

The demand comes from the homebrew community. I can't say anything else.

On 2005-10-04 23:05, Jonathan_F wrote:
    Speculation, only.

Access to a "homebrew" GC server is being spread around and JiF here thinks that's the reason why your store is suddenly carrying these items.

Or it could be the fact that people still buy PSO+ and want to get online with it. >_>

Or that they just had some to put up.

GO TO HELL C:

Well, if we count Homeland, which'll probably never be released in the US. Then we have more than just PSO fully online(Legally).

If I had more info on the game, I'd probably post it. >_>;

I'm fine with offline GC games. In Animal Crossing, you can trade items without online. Maybe more games can be made with this similar system?

Speaking of online, I'm settled on FFXI.

Don't forget those notorious LAN capable games. And the whole "Warp Pipe" idea.

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing about an GC online game that was JP only. I forget what it was called, but I saw a lot of screenshots of it in a ragol.co.uk news announcememt, so it might be a sega/st game

On 2005-10-05 13:36, Split wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I remember hearing about an GC online game that was JP only. I forget what it was called, but I saw a lot of screenshots of it in a ragol.co.uk news announcememt, so it might be a sega/st game
    That doesn't explain why they would suddenly be selling this stuff in the states in major retail chains again though.

I don't think the homebrew crap is popular or widespread enough for major retail chains to be marketing this stuff again.

On 2005-10-04 23:33, Skorpius wrote:
    On 2005-10-04 23:05, Jonathan_F wrote:
    Speculation, only.

Access to a "homebrew" GC server is being spread around and JiF here thinks that's the reason why your store is suddenly carrying these items.

Or it could be the fact that people still buy PSO+ and want to get online with it. >_>

Or that they just had some to put up.
    Let's get technical here: PSOGC (First Release) had a bug when it connected to a server, where in you could connect to another source and run homebrew code on it. Sooner or later, someone released a tool to play 'illegal' games. I'll stop there to be safe.

Okay, common sense. Why would they sell MORE of the broadband adapters? Nintendo loses money every time someone decides to pirate a game instead of buying it.

I went into my Target the other day and noticed that they had some as well, and asked why. When he looked at the package, he noticed that it had been marked for clearance for awhile now. (Maybe got lost in backstock or the factory had more then they thought?) Either way, I'm sure Nintendo would not lend a helping hand in the pirating community.

Speaking of which, let's remember these rules:
    Illegal Activities
    Warez or illegal related content of any kind is grounds to be banned by our discretion.Links to such material as well as requests for it, are considered the same as posting the actual material.
    You may not ask for Warez, ROMs, or MP3s or ask for links to such sites containing specified content and you may not provide links to such sites.

Cheat Codes and Methods
    Do not post any exploits or methods or parts thereof. Do not post links to cheat codes or sites containing them or post cheat codes. Do not ask for cheat codes. Do not post cheat codes or even attempt to describe it. Do not ask for cheat methods. Do not pm members asking or sharing cheat methods or codes. Do not ask for members to dupe for you. Doing so will result in an instant ban. We have a 0 tolerance level for these activities.
    <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2005-10-06 15:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2005-10-06 15:26 ]</font>