Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ffuzzy-Logik View Post
    Hey boys and girls, did you know that the terms "alpha" and "beta" as applied to software are extremely subjective and depend only on what the developer wishes to call it?

Well, they are!
    Doesn't change the fact that that the term "alpha" has certain (strong) connotations to go with it, and that people should manage their expectations accordingly.

True, but keep in mind that previous PSO/PSU betas were nothing more than free trial periods, maybe with slightly different content.

Alpha -> Playable shell of the game that will be built and expanded upon as development continues. Lots of things are very subject to change, from player models to entire gameplay systems.

Beta [test] -> Essentially finished version of the game, given to the playerbase to play and test to finish ironing out any bugs. For MMO's, this is probably also used primarily as a stress test for the servers, as well as balancing.

This is the first year i've seen so many developers start showing off their games during alpha stages, as most "alpha" versions of games you'd get in the past, you would only see through leaks and hacks. I'm starting to believe the term is being used for psychological gain (who wants to Alpha Test an FPS game anyway?) In PSO2's case, though, i wouldn't deny that this is indeed an alpha test. I don't believe the graphics are going to change much, but you would be very surprised.

And what are these "new screenshots" the OP mentions? I see none!
    Last edited by RemiusTA; Jun 17, 2011 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RemiusTA View Post
    And what are these "new screenshots" the OP mentions? I see none!
    This is because there are none. The OP just misread the mail.

All I can say is that I hope that someone will post some force gameplay. I really want to see how my favorite class fares in this version. Meanwhile I'll have to continue saving my paychecks so I can get a new laptop that doesn't suck...
    PSP2:
    Irving Lv.167 M-Newman H:16 R:8 F:15 V:30
    Eilie Lv.51 F-Beast H:4 R:1 F:1 V:5

Quote Originally Posted by vagabondkitten View Post
    All I can say is that I hope that someone will post some force gameplay. I really want to see how my favorite class fares in this version. Meanwhile I'll have to continue saving my paychecks so I can get a new laptop that doesn't suck...
    Hell yes, forces aren't necessarily my favorite class to play with, but they are what makes a good party great. They are the face of the series in many ways.
    Last edited by r00tabaga; Jun 17, 2011 at 09:33 PM.

Force was always my favorite because they played uniquely from the other two classes.

Hopefully, Forces dont follow the same mechanics as the hunters or rangers while casting magic. Im hoping for a more PSO-style magic caster (using the elements as your primary weapons) instead of PSU (using your weapons to cast magic). While it sounds like it's the same thing, it's a bit different. Anyone who's played a PSO force knows what i mean.

While other magic users in videogames are traditionally slow and immobile, PSO forces were able to strike quickly and were very versatile with their spells. I really liked that.

Force was always my favorite because they played uniquely from the other two classes.

Hopefully, Forces dont follow the same mechanics as the hunters or rangers while casting magic. Im hoping for a more PSO-style magic caster (using the elements as your primary weapons) instead of PSU (using your weapons to cast magic). While it sounds like it's the same thing, it's a bit different. Anyone who's played a PSO force knows what i mean.

While other magic users in videogames are traditionally slow and immobile, PSO forces were able to strike quickly and were very versatile with their spells. I really liked that.
    Truthfully, PSO's mechanics locked everyone in place while attacking (more or less, some weapon combos moved a bit, but otherwise...)

FOs are the best classes in both PSO and PSU in terms of what they bring to a team. It's hard to top Shifta/Deband/Jellen/Zalure for adding damage. That said, the returns on FOs also diminished rapidly... you only need one person to keep SDJZ going, after that... well, others will probably outdamage them.

Back on topic, hoping to see some new info from the alpha. Somewhat. I can wait, I guess.
    Coming Soon!

PSU's force mechanics were terrible. Even buffing was an overly cumbersome task in that game.

PSU's force mechanics were terrible. Even buffing was an overly cumbersome task in that game.
    The problem with buffing was the asinine PA leveling system. They were useless unless you spent hours mindlessly leveling them.
    Coming Soon!