Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 182526272829303138 ... LastLast

ill have to agree with rock, partisans on psu were well not partisans...

god i love pso2.
    Graphics Designer/Product Designer/Illustrator/General handy guy/not taking any requests right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikura View Post
    Due to the sheer nature of the class, hunters require more weapon variety to perform effectively in different situations.
    Actually, no. Due to the sheer nature of the class, Hunters are required to stick to one weapon and use its gear to the fullest. This is especially true for Sword and, to a lesser extent, Lance users.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-24 View Post
    Actually, no. Due to the sheer nature of the class, Hunters are required to stick to one weapon and use its gear to the fullest. This is especially true for Sword and, to a lesser extent, Lance users.
    Yes and no. That's gears. All classes highly promote speccing. The difference is the selection of weapons that promote a certain variety of gameplay options.

Either the Partisan or Wired Lance is the "extra" weapon. The sword is the heavy hitter, so I'd align that with the launcher or rod. I'm inclined to say it's the Partisan that's added onto the template slow heavy hitter + lighter but mobile/ranged + gunslash setup. Why? Hunters need an extreme mobility and blocking option. The other classes very simply don't - they can stay at range.

That's my theory. I'm interested to see if it's held up with the Fighter.

edit: Made a bit more specific. It's also worth noting gears were originally part of the core weapon, only being relegated to skillsheets some time after the alpha began.
    Last edited by gigawuts; Aug 26, 2012 at 03:12 PM.

"Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

I dunno, I'd disagree with Partisan/W.Lance being the 'extra' weapon.

I hardly even use Sword, and I only have Partisan Gear. I think I do just fine. :/

And a teammate I know uses exclusively Wired Lance, and she's brilliant with them.
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

I'm not saying they're bad. I'm saying Hunter has 3 weapons and Ranger/Force have 2 weapons - but there's a trend. All 3 classes have heavy hitters and slightly lighter but situational weapons, but only hunter has one with such extreme mobility as is on the partisan because the class needs it.

Maybe you don't get what I mean by "extra." There is no comparable weapon for Ranger and Force. It's not that Hunter is getting extra content, it's that it needs an extra option to fight with.

You saying "I don't use sword and I'm fine" is the same as a ranger saying "I don't use launcher and I'm fine." Nobody with a brain is saying you're not fine.

Aaaah, I see. I read that as the 'primary' weapon hunters should use is the sword, where as Partisan and Wired Lance were 'extra' in the sense that they weren't really necessary.

Sorry, my mistake. Seen Partisan and WL get a fair bit of hate in game (for no reason, if you ask me) and I guess that tinged my perception in this case.

But anyway, PARTISAN FOREVER! WOOO~

Oh no no, all hunters weapons are usable in all situations, more so than the launcher is anyway. I like all of them, have used them each extensively. It's just some are more suitable to some situations than others are. They all have their own take on the same basic group of attacks with a couple extras, which is great. The spinny AOE attack has three distinct, good uses on each weapon.

The sword's strong suit is long term damage for a up front short term time investment. The wired lance's strong suit is both damage and crowd control, but you're left a bit open and have to have dealt non-PA damage at some point. The partisan's strong suit isn't damage, but mobility. At almost any point during any PA you can jump+guard in any direction. It's the best pick for skirmishing against something you're not familiar with, giving you more safety than the sword or wired lance. Ranger and Force don't need this option, they have accurate PA's or Grants/Rafoie/Zonde/AOE-Talis they can use from far away.

They can all be used for all situations, though. No reason they couldn't be. You could fist everything if you wanted!

But, like I said, that's my theory. Fighter could easily just not hold to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    Oh no no, all hunters weapons are usable in all situations, more so than the launcher is anyway. I like all of them, have used them each extensively. It's just some are more suitable to some situations than others are. They all have their own take on the same basic group of attacks with a couple extras, which is great. The spinny AOE attack has three distinct, good uses on each weapon.

The sword's strong suit is long term damage for a up front short term time investment. The wired lance's strong suit is both damage and crowd control, but you're left a bit open and have to have dealt non-PA damage at some point. The partisan's strong suit isn't damage, but mobility. At almost any point during any PA you can jump+guard in any direction. It's the best pick for skirmishing against something you're not familiar with, giving you more safety than the sword or wired lance. Ranger and Force don't need this option, they have accurate PA's or Grants/Rafoie/Zonde/AOE-Talis they can use from far away.

They can all be used for all situations, though. No reason they couldn't be. You could fist everything if you wanted!

But, like I said, that's my theory. Fighter could easily just not hold to it.
    First: I agree with everything.

Second: The highlighted section sounds horrible when taken out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer MKV View Post
    I dunno, I'd disagree with Partisan/W.Lance being the 'extra' weapon.

I hardly even use Sword, and I only have Partisan Gear. I think I do just fine. :/

And a teammate I know uses exclusively Wired Lance, and she's brilliant with them.
    Wired Lance, while my favored weapon, has some flaws I wish it didn't have.. None being related to damage output(which is stellar).

Sword, well if you main WL for long periods, this weapon is gonna feel gimpy obviously, cause of the range from WL you're so used to is gone. That's exactly why I couldn't stand sword.

I use all three now however.
    Miranda F Newman Fighter (PSO2: NG) Ship 2
    ~Past Characters~
    DC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 100 » 102 (Ver.2)
    GC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 161 :: Za'leshea FOnewearl 172
    PSU: Eternia F Beast FF15 Lvl142(PC) :: Elemia F Cast GM20 lvl174(360)

I'm one of those people that will fist everything if I can.

Btw, I grant you that sword is one of the best overall weapons that you could full-time on hunter, but I've come across situations where partisan or wired-lance worked better, or was easier to manage than a sword.

Point is, hunters specialize in up-close melee combat. It only makes sense to me that they have the most options available to them when it comes to weapon types.
    PSO2
    Mikura: Female Human - Hunter 40/Ranger 29
    Lilith: Female Newman - Force 4
    Ship 2: Block 42

Personal blog: http://theslackerslounge.blogspot.com/