Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by subtledemise View Post
    I don't think the game is as bad as people like to make out. I personally think it's pretty awesome, and I've been playing the PSO series since the Gamecube days. I think it's actually better than that game, better character creation and way less repetitive. It also is far superior to PSU, in which the lobby area was an open world spread out on a bunch of planets, and for a game which so few people played in the first place, it just didn't work.
    I give the game so much shit BECAUSE I like it. If I wasn't at least having fun then I wouldn't be playing anywhere near as much as I do.

But I also like party rock anthem, Sword Art Online, and Mabinogi, so I clearly have low standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    Well like I said, a lot of stuff is extenstions of things from past games. PSU had really flashy PAs too.

And no, those games are in a whole other direction. I: Besides, I never said anything about a favorable comparison, just a fair one. I already discussed what I think Vindictus and God Eater have done better than PSO2.
    Eh. This conversation feels really goddamn arbitrary at this point.

If there's a movelist and there's hitstun and there's guarding and dodging and shit, I am going to compare those games to each other. End of story. Fair or not, doesn't matter to me.

Also, PSU was the very beginning of their move towards more character action, and PSO2 is a few steps ahead of that in that regard. It feels weird to make arbitrary boxes where this game is only comparable to X and Y games but not Z and A games because... reasons, when there's so much they have in common anyway.

I guess I should reiterate. I don't think the games aren't comparable on principle. Just that holding PSO2 to ALL the standards of a character action game doesn't make sense when all it REALLY has in common with them that's not in the other games I listed is being flashy (and even then vindictus is pretty close). A lot of the stuff they have in common is, as I said before, shared with other games that clearly aren't meant to be character action games. It's an all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares kinda thing.

And any conversation with me about semantics is arbitrary. I just find it fun and thought provoking. It's how I get to know people.

Also, what move list? ._. You don't perform specific combos for PAs or anything.

EDIT: Hell, I think a skill buying system based off points that considers it normal to get all the skills maxed like almost every character action game does would be worlds better than the bloated skill tree system.
    Last edited by Kondibon; Jul 30, 2014 at 05:32 PM.

Not, ONE stupid mistake. Maybe for some sort of hardcore content, but that kind of stuff shouldn't be happening in normal gameplay, not so easily. It should be a culmination of bad play, not just a "oops I dodged too soon, now I have to redo the whole quest".

And having played vindictus, I can attest that missing a dodge or whatever isn't gonna get you oneshot unless you're underleveled/undergeared, and doing a raid boss.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be conciquences for making mistakes, I'm saying that they shouldn't be so severe in normal content.

Contra is an entirely different genre, why are you bringing it up?
    I brought it up not to compare the two games, but to discuss why "making a single mistake kills me often" is not a good reason to take points away from pso2. The "gotta go fast" mentality of most players is what causes deaths via stupid mistakes. Only a few things in the game have timers you actually have to watch (and even then the timers are so large it doesn't matter), so the fact that players don't take time to sit at range and assess how to approach a fight that may potentially destroy them is not really the fault of the game. This applies universally.

Again, considering power levels, I think the game is fair in being unforgiving with damage. Playing with friends makes this trivial (and you're really meant to, hence the online).

As for comparing this with other action games, the only thing pso2 differs in is the "lack" of aesthetic flair (even still, some of the animations are actually pretty). It doesn't have the automated cgi cutscenes or the button mash events. At the end of the day the combat is still about fighting 10 things and timing attacks so you one-shot them before they one-shot you.

I used to have fun but pretty much all fun I have in it now is not even related to the game it's the people in it. As a free to play mmo it's not the worst far from it but as game itself it is my worst by far I haven't played god awful games thankfully but the games I have played have been of much higher quality and polish.

My issue with the game is that it tries so hard to be bugger than it needs to be if they streamlined a ew things and do stuff with in their range and expertise I feel this game could be so much better.

Comparing it to monster hunter is unfair also it has one of the largest if not the largest fanbase in japan it's had monster hunter frontier running since 2007 and I do not see it dying any time soon. Hell they got a new expansion last week and I see it packed in both JP and non JP primetime. Also their objectives are completeky different pso2 is more focused on small enemies with bosses taking a back seat to them while in monster hunter they are the main attraction. Comparing the two will leave one side or the other unsatisfied. A large part of them time being us in the monster hunter camp.

The real question is... what/who in the hell convinced you create this thread? And... who told YOU Phantasy Star Online 2 is the best game they have ever played? That person might have an heart attack if you show them real greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexxy View Post
    I brought it up not to compare the two games, but to discuss why "making a single mistake kills me often" is not a good reason to take points away from pso2. The "gotta go fast" mentality of most players is what causes deaths via stupid mistakes. Only a few things in the game have timers you actually have to watch (and even then the timers are so large it doesn't matter), so the fact that players don't take time to sit at range and assess how to approach a fight that may potentially destroy them is not really the fault of the game. This applies universally.

Again, considering power levels, I think the game is fair in being unforgiving with damage. Playing with friends makes this trivial (and you're really meant to, hence the online).

As for comparing this with other action games, the only thing pso2 differs in is the "lack" of aesthetic flair (even still, some of the animations are actually pretty). It doesn't have the automated cgi cutscenes or the button mash events. At the end of the day the combat is still about fighting 10 things and timing attacks so you one-shot them before they one-shot you.
    I'm not sure I understand the first point. Are you saying people need to "git gud" and that when they do they'll never make mistakes or have accidents at all? Cause I'm talking about small mistakes, like missed timing, or getting attacked from behind by an angry banther because you literally can't keep both of those slippery ass tigers on your screen, not something stupid like getting caught in Quartz's blatantly telegraphed AoE laser spam of doom that everyone complained about when he came out.

The fact that playing with other people almost entirely trivializes the game is a whole other issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampy View Post
    Comparing it to monster hunter is unfair also it has one of the largest if not the largest fanbase in japan it's had monster hunter frontier running since 2007 and I do not see it dying any time soon. Hell they got a new expansion last week and I see it packed in both JP and non JP primetime. Also their objectives are completeky different pso2 is more focused on small enemies with bosses taking a back seat to them while in monster hunter they are the main attraction. Comparing the two will leave one side or the other unsatisfied. A large part of them time being us in the monster hunter camp.
    I'm mostly talking about general gameplay and the way boss fights play out (which I'd honestly compare more to God eater than monster hunter). I know the focuses are different. Also, I'm not sure what popularity or longetevity has to do with gameplay quality. The PSO series is older than monster hunter, but as giga pointed out, they keep making the same mistakes they did in past games, and not bringing in good ideas they had before (like the class extend system in Phantasy Star portable2) . While I'm sure monster hunter isn't perfect, it serves as a better comparison than Bayonetta or DMC. Really I want to say that PSO2 is kinda in a league of it's own, none of the PSO, PSU, or PSP games have really felt exactly like something else, Monster Hunter and God Eater are just a closer comparison gameplay wise, even if the focus is different.
    Last edited by Kondibon; Jul 30, 2014 at 05:53 PM.

I'm not sure I understand the first point. Are you saying people need to "git gud" and that when they do they'll never make mistakes or have accidents at all? Cause I'm talking about small mistakes, like missed timing, or getting attacked from behind by an angry banther because you literally can't keep both of those slippery ass tigers on your screen, not something stupid like getting caught in Quartz's blatantly telegraphed AoE laser spam of doom that everyone complained about when he came out.

The fact that playing with other people almost entirely trivializes the game is a whole other issue.
    No.skill level is one thing. I'm just saying that mistakes should be punished. Even small ones. Timing is the entire point of combat. If you miss it you certainly shouldn't get away unscathed. Like I said there is always the option of waiting for the enemy to make a mistake first. On the topic of content like cats being tough because of vision limits, that's when you bring a friend. You're meant to.

Gameplay wise they are similar until you count PAs that makes it feel so much different. Yes I know it is older but nit by much 3 years if I remember correctly monster hunter has remained unchanged at it's core for four generations they have only refined it and added new mechanics. You can go between all games and pick up and play the feel has never changed monster hunter has some issues but far smaller ines than pso2.

Now for the guy who says our mistakes should be punished yes they should but holy fuck sometimes we can do things perfectly and still die from one shot or just entering a room I can count how many times I enter a room and quartz just rams me just because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.