Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

i like rap, rock, punk, and techno

Yeah, Rap sucks! Rock is the best sounding music in the world! Everything besides rap is great! SHEEIT

Post Farmer (minus the S)

Yeah man, just play what you think sounds good. I mean, everyone has tastes and I guess the DJs taste is supposed to be hip and shiet.

Ok, I guess I'll finally clarify my use of the term DJ. Alright, I know you people are thinking of the person on the radio or somebody that plays music at prom, that is a DJ, but the DJ I wanna be is one in a band. Like Linkin Parks DJ, or Incubus' DJ. Ya know what I mean? With the scratchin' and the stuff. Ok, but I'm glad that you people like everything but country and rap.

The thing about working tables for a band and being a DJ can be a little different. Unless you REALLY practice with working your tables and your faders in unison you're gonna sound like a boob.

As far as what you mix on those fancy tables play around, a lot of bands like Linkin Park and limp biscuit *shudder* dont even use vynil for a lot of songs their DJs mess with their stuff post production and just make looking busy on stage or mix in some off the cuff stuff live. So unless you're doing hip-hop instead of this rap-rock stuff get some stuff going on your PC.

Here's an idea of what you'll see most DJs go for from my experience. Old funk from the 70's, Instrumental Scores and movie OST's, some new age, and in some cases OLD jhonny cash style country. Rave Djs all have collections of their Techno stuff and just fade in and out of what's playing.

awww, a band? how cute!!

How exactly does one learn how to DJ? I mean, i took piano lessons and there's sheet music for that, and actual notes.. but is DJ'ing just one of those instruments that totally break all the rules? I mean, I doubt you can play chords and notes by scratching a vinyl. Enlighten me

I used to be in a band <remembers> I was the bassist, it was easy. Our style was like pantera/deftones/old metallica. Ah, those were the days.

I always looked at record scratching like a percusive instrument and a sampler all rolled into one. Scratching segments of pre-recorded music bascially makes it un-recognizable so it becomes percussion since all sense of tone is also lost, but I can also play back pre-recorded material as it was originally intended soooo you can plop in little samples from the record at your discretion.

aww yeah, good old days in a band . . . all Bahaus, sisters of mercy style . . . damn we looked silly, and sounded awful.

ALL THE WAY WITH HEAVY METAL!!!!!

AFPSOW

Ironically, if you wanted to be a radio DJ, you'd need to go to college and study mass communication before most stations would hire you, or get REALLY lucky and just totally have the voice and the know-how.

My husband is a Master's Student in Communications and some places still won't hire him because he doesn't have the voice they want or need right then and there.

Most radio DJs are fairly highly educated, and the job is typically more involved than most people think.

cool!
    now for my opinion on this.. lol
    umm i checked the system you're gettin and its alright.. i mean it is numarks =P
    only bad thing here is that they're belt drive! oh no! what u wanna look for is direct drive turntables. technics are the standard right now last time i checked. i've used technics and they're great... its only like 10 years old! and it works like new! but now since everyone is into the remixing scene down here.. i'm using cd players.. not just any cd players but some professional ones. actually there are some cd players that behave like turntables! scratch and everything! check out the pioneer cdj1000s if u dont believe me. its hella expensive though. but umm if u wanna go with the numark pack, its ok. good system to start out with. when u get more money or something.. get a new headphone! i don't think the ones they provide will cut it. then again i might be wrong. =P
    as for me being a DJ... i'm not the type who plays for bands and stuff..
    people hire me to play at night clubs. what i do is mix songs together (i spin breakbeats by the way). i also produce my own stuff and remix a couple of trance songs into breaks.
    my advice is if u wanna do this kinda stuff u gotta be dedicated. do some research. practice like 3 hours a day (well u can do less but thats how many hours i practice =P). play what u like. and try alittle experimenting. u might develop your own style and ya'll might become a band that stands out. and most of all keep trying!

oh yea.. hiiii funky mcgunk!
    --d-_-b Dj Donkey