Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

... or maybe it has too much "it" factor.

Before I start off, let me say that I'm very addicted to PSU and enjoy the gameplay very much. But holy shit is it missing something that PSO had.

A few minutes ago I was messing around with my personal settings on here and was looking at some of the old headers. Look at some of the old fan art, it REALLY hit me that PSU can not compare with the "tight" style that PSO had. Style wise, everything in PSO is very different, yet fits together in some unexplainable way. While PSU everything is either grossly similar or grossly out of place.

Try it yourself. Look at header1, header2, and header3. You have the RAmar with the sort of weird body armor and strange square collar. Next, you have the FOnewm with her wide, made up face, excited expression, and interesting accessories. Then the somewhat average looking HUmar who seems to be conveying animosity and maybe even sadness for whatever it is he has to do. All these characters give off a sort of anonymous appeal, that this is there job, (that you're not the ONLY hero).

It's not just the character designs, either. PSO's story was told through logs and through the struggles of pioneers who were never intended to set ground in the first place. It was a setting that developed, rather than a character. PSU, you follow around some twat generic character and his twat generic comrades on their twat generic sci-fi adventure.

And how about emotion, man. When Alys dies in Phantasy Star 4, it really hits you. And if you played any of the story of Episode III, you know what this series is capable of. So why is that in PSU, when the stupid ass doctor dies from some cliche nano virus I find myself saying, "thank fucking god I don't have to see him anymore".

I know, I know, PSU ISNT PSO, but... it is a Phantasy Star game. The earlier Phantasy Star games had style. PSO had style. PSU just reminds us all that this is a game made by Sonic Team (see Sonic Adventure style).

Blah, I guess I'll just go play Hundred Swords and be satisfied...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: butzopower on 2006-12-17 22:31 ]</font>

Do I even need to make the point that almost every song sounds like it's from a Sonic Adventure game as well?

WHO the hell made this game?

(Though I guess you can't afford an orchestra for every game...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: butzopower on 2006-12-17 22:35 ]</font>

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.p...305&forum=11&3

Yup, I agree. I got to chapter five in the storymode and I just could'nt go any further, I could'nt take the cliche of everything. It was all just, well, absurdly mind numbing to play, I could'nt relate to the characters, and everything seemed really out of place and just tossed in for the "in the moment-way to kill time and make it look like effort was made."

Personally, too often in the game did I get ripped out of what I was doing, but some stupid pop-up cut-in conversation that makes you stop and read through everything. I'd have preferred a decent cutscene as opposed to making me read through a page worth of conversation. Most often it was all angsty or stupid conversations anyway.

Honestly, I don't even think teenagers who play this game could relate to the "wanna-be badass hero" that Ethan kept trying to be. Too much angst, I was expecting him to slit his wrists or eat a bullet, or even sit atop a clocktower and shoot people; and a part of me was hoping he did so I could take on a better character role. Oh wait, there weren't any! Not a single character that I could see and go "Thats a pretty cool character."

Inconsistency too. Casts are supposed to be logical and unfeeling, thats where the racism comes from on Parum. Well then how come Maya or whoever manages to seduce a Cast? Sure, breasts the size of watermelons(gee another cliche'd character!), but I don't think Casts are really going to care.

Just alot of silly things. And it's not like they spent all their time coding the game to be so excellent, or making amazing textures, because everything is very mediocre. Textures, coding, graphics, they could'nt even handle the story.

Sure, it's primarily an online game, but you know what, so was PSO and atleast that story had tid-bits much like breadcrumbs, and guess what, WE WERE ALWAYS HUNGRY FOR THE NEXT CRUMB! They could have just ignored all the Ethan bullshit, let you create your own character ala PSO and go through the game as a voiceless character that you COULD atleast relate to, because it did'nt say anything, it did whatever came up, and you did it because YOU wanted to.

Every action sequence, they could have put your character in it, no voice, no text, you just react to what others say and do and in the end it would have been more interesting and less mind numbing than putting up with Ethan Wanna-ber.

Would'nt have even needed "Extra" mode, it would have all been one nice package. Want to advance in the game? Do the main-quests, want to just lvl up your character? Do some side quests. As it is now, you have to muck through the story just to get everything unlocked for Extra-mode, and by the time you do that, do you even FEEL like going through Extra mode? Doesn't that feel redundant? I'd have rather taken my own, voiceless character through storymode, would have enjoyed it alot more than enduring Ethan Whiner.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2006-12-17 22:55 ]</font>
    Look, he did it again.

I almost wonder if PSU's offline being ruined by there being party members with you. PSO (Episodes I - III at least, never played IV) gave you a sense of aloneness, sort of like a Metroid game. You were following people who went alone to figure out the truth and learn the story as they became corrupted by the immense power of darkness. Even in Episode III where there were team battles and you were usually facing other people, the final plunge against the darkness was done by yourself.

I know that's really Phantasy Star-esque, but I think there was something to it.

I read it on PSOW, so it must be true

On 2006-12-17 22:34, butzopower wrote:
    Do I even need to make the point that almost every song sounds like it's from a Sonic Adventure game as well?
    I LOVED how the Moatoob Mountains sounded like you came STRAIGHT out of Knuckles Red Mountain Stage. PSU has GREAT music.

Weird. At first people complained that PSO had no Story. Now people like the, "Bit by bit," set up?

That thing took like 5 years and STILL didn't finish. I mean, I liked what story PSO had too, but just not... to say it had a better one than PSU.

We wanted an offline storyline mode. We got one. Honestly, did anyone REALLY think Sonic Team was up to the task? What we should have been asking for, is a offline storyline mode by Rieko Kodama and Tohru Yoshida. They've proven time and time again through the previous games in the series - as well as modern classics like Skies of Arcadia, that they ARE up to the task. Have them handle the art design as well.

But oh well... on a side note, the storyline isn't nearly as painful the second time through.

And honestly.. damnit... was Ethan REALLY any worse than CHAZ?!?

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

I, personally, never complained about the bit by bit story, and totally embraced it. I really liked how everything moved through quests. Granted, it is sort of convoluted the first time through. Look back on some of those logs, and some of the text dumps and maybe the story will make a little sense.

And anyone who complains about the series not having character development and the like, DID NOT play Episode III.

Compared to a lot of games PSU has alright music, but when compared to the PSO series and PS4, the music is total crap. The only thing I've found standable so far is the music in Lab Recovery. Otherwise it's awful power chords or solos on a spanish guitar.

I guess I'm just bothered by the fact that over the 5 or 6 different versions of PSO, Sonic Team managed to maintain a sort of quality that few games had (in everything but the coding ), whereas this has dropped substantially to the quality of, as I said before, a Sonic Adventure game.

The thing that gets me the most is how the heroes in these games are always kids. 17 year old? wtf go back to school
    Still this one's better than 16 year old Chaz though

Scarlet / ID:aurly; Shock Nurse @ Ship 2!

Everyone's focused on this main character...

Sure Ethan and Chaz are equivalent in being bothersome, but PS4 (and the other PS games) had characters to make up for it. PSU has twat dates-too-much, twat blue-haired-girlfriend, and twat-titties.

Games these days? That's how it's been for the past... 15 years?

On 2006-12-18 11:49, butzopower wrote:

Compared to a lot of games PSU has alright music, but when compared to the PSO series and PS4, the music is total crap. The only thing I've found standable so far is the music in Lab Recovery. Otherwise it's awful power chords or solos on a spanish guitar.

Personally - I think that it is absolutely awesome!