PDA

View Full Version : Do you RTFM?

KodiaX987
Feb 9, 2007, 11:08 PM
Serious answers, please. Really. Do you RTFM? Or is it a waste of paper on humanity?

UnderscoreX
Feb 9, 2007, 11:30 PM
For video games I do.

SpikeOtacon
Feb 9, 2007, 11:45 PM
I RTFM.

ABDUR101
Feb 10, 2007, 12:02 AM
The manual is like the treasure in the box. You look over the box, read the details, and then delve into the wonderous manual that is almost erection inducing as it gleams of what you will have at your fingertips.

The manual is the stepping stone to the awesomeness within the box.

DonRoyale
Feb 10, 2007, 12:05 AM
If they really wanted us to RTFM, then they should have stopped giving us the hints and actually RTFM.

But no, the four year-olds have to be made happy. >>

Firocket1690
Feb 10, 2007, 12:09 AM
Yep.

Usually, I'd play the first level, and if I don't grasp the concept by then, I'd go through the booklet. Otherwise, I'd play through most (aprox 75%) of the game, and then go through it out of boredom, or on how to beat whatever I might be stuck on at that given point.

DizzyDi
Feb 10, 2007, 12:20 AM
On 2007-02-09 20:30, UnderscoreX wrote:
For video games I do.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Feb 10, 2007, 12:25 AM
Need it to build 'do it yourself' furniture.

It also adds to the value of used games, Complete w/box & manual!

I shouldn't have been a scrooge for FFTA I picked up with box and no manual. There's too many details to know and now I don't have the manual to look at.

Eihwaz
Feb 10, 2007, 12:38 AM
I do it, mainly for the cool art. But it helps to have some basic understanding of controls and gameplay before actually starting.

Schubalts
Feb 10, 2007, 12:56 AM
I read it, cover to cover. I like knowing how to make the things I buy work.

Sinue_v2
Feb 10, 2007, 01:03 AM
No, I don't.

However, if I run into a problem - or see a feature I don't know how to use, I will breifly try to figure it out on my own, then turn to the manual, then to the interweb as a last resort. I don't generally ask question pertaining to my problem, but preform searches on Google for threads that other newbs have started because they couldn't be bothered with RTFM.

Kent
Feb 10, 2007, 01:46 AM
I do, regardless of my gnome-like knack for tinkering, and figuring out how things work.

...Wait, what?

...*cough* Anyway... Yeah. Usually, I pop the game case open, and thumb through the manual, on the way home.

In the case of other devices... My brother got this coffee maker for Christmas. His girlfriend had the manual in hand, the day after Christmas, and called him in, then gave me the manual, and told me to start reading aloud as long as I could, while remaining a straight face.

...Didn't work out so well. Not only was this manual printed in the worst broken english I've seen. And I mean, like, the end of a sentence was signified by a space, then a period, then no space between it and the start of the next sentence. Consistently. That, and it went on to nonsensical instructions on features that said coffee maker didn't even have.

Manuals can be entertaining, at times, heh...

AC9breaker
Feb 10, 2007, 07:59 AM
Manuals, best damn bathroom reading material ever.

Obscenity
Feb 10, 2007, 08:03 AM
On 2007-02-10 04:59, AC9breaker wrote:
Manuals, best damn bathroom reading material ever.

Quoted for truth.

Hrigg
Feb 10, 2007, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I do before I play it most of the time.

Kuea
Feb 10, 2007, 11:31 AM
I have a massive collection of manuals for games I don't even own... and they are all fun to read to look back at the good old days of games http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Sayara
Feb 10, 2007, 03:42 PM
Solely for installing software, or working a machine.

Video game manuels, only if i am lost or forgot how to do something.

Sinue_v2
Feb 10, 2007, 05:30 PM
I have a massive collection of manuals for games I don't even own... and they are all fun to read to look back at the good old days of games

Game Manuals used to be fairly fun to read through back in the day. Expecially the old Sierra manuals, as they'd often disquise them as faux tabloids, Comics, explorer's journals, and self-help magazines. Such as the "Famous Adventurer's Corespondance School" or "Space Piston Magazine".

http://www.spacequest.net/sq5/manual/frontcoverklein.jpg

Blitzkommando
Feb 10, 2007, 11:53 PM
It depends on what it is I'm doing. If I'm playing a game I tend to just jump in and if I become stuck I'll pop it open and look at it. But for things like computer equipment I'll read the sections that apply to the hardware I'm using and just thumb through the areas that don't apply to me. I just try to keep in mind the consequences of doing something horribly wrong and if it means I do poorly in a game that's one thing, but if it means purchasing the wrong spark plugs that's something else entirely. Overall though, yes, I do read the manuals.

EphekZ
Feb 11, 2007, 12:46 AM
I usually remember, er learn, the game faster if I find the buttons myself. but if I something is like needing the read the manual for it, then I will.

Dre_o
Feb 11, 2007, 01:26 AM
Video games= for controls ONLY

other things= maybe

-Crokar-
Feb 11, 2007, 01:27 AM
never.

Jehosaphaty
Feb 11, 2007, 02:19 AM
I'm fairly sure I read and re-read my pokemon Blue manual about fifty times the night I got the game because I was at my Grammy's house and forgot my gameboy. I don't think I was ever so excited as when I first yanked that thing outta the box.

-Crokar-
Feb 11, 2007, 02:20 AM
POKEMON

hollowtip
Feb 11, 2007, 04:02 AM
On 2007-02-09 22:03, Sinue_v2 wrote:
No, I don't.

However, if I run into a problem - or see a feature I don't know how to use, I will breifly try to figure it out on my own, then turn to the manual, then to the interweb as a last resort. I don't generally ask question pertaining to my problem, but preform searches on Google for threads that other newbs have started because they couldn't be bothered with RTFM.

Hah. That last sentence was fucking golden.

Pretty much mimics my actions as well, unless it's a complicated question, then I won't even attempt to crack open the manual.

The only manuals that are really essential to read are for assembly type tasks. Otherwise, I usually don't bother RTFM because it usually contains fundamental concepts.

Mewn
Feb 11, 2007, 06:21 AM
For video games, I generally RTFM before playing the game, play a bit of it, and then do it again as with a bit of gameplay under my belt I'll understand it a bit better.

There are exceptions though, like for Pokémon, since the gameplay never really changes all that much and I find stuff out from the internet long before I play the game.

Rainbowlemon
Feb 11, 2007, 09:21 AM
For games: If I'm catching a ride home, yes. If I'm walking home, no - I jump straight into the game.

Anything else (e.g. Putting together furniture...), yeah I well and truly RTFM.

Do YOU RTFM, Kodia?