PDA

View Full Version : Question for anyone who has ever had vehicle repairs done.

DeathAsylum
Nov 3, 2008, 01:46 PM
Hello everyone I would like to say that i am proud to be a new PSOW member and with that being said I am in need of some input.

Basically I own 2003 Mustang GT the transmission recently began to slip I was considering AMMCO before a family friend told me about a mechanic that she uses an I went through him.

He replaced the tranny instead of soft overhauling it but this is were the problem begins, the agreement was $600.00 for the tranny from pick a part and then like $450.00 for his labor etc because I ended up paying $1,100.

The first transmission that he put into my car was messed up it did a hard shift everytime and also when going into reverse.We took it to the place that he got it from and they said that it was no good, and I waited and waited and waited until last week when he got another one.

He placed it into my car and it appears to be running fine however now the guy wants me to pay him an additional $170.00 for the labor of him taking out the broken one that he put in and replacing it with a working one.

To me it just does not seem fair that I he expects me to pay him extra for his mistake, because if he would have done the job correctly the first time then I would not owe anything.

Anyway what do you guys think am I obligated to pay him for fixing his mistake?

ngagerebel
Nov 3, 2008, 02:18 PM
thats why when it comes to major repairs you wanna take it somewhere that will warranty their work like AAMCO. if it messes up they will be able to fix it for free. granted there will always be those cheap bastards that try to rip you off for no apparent reason.
in a short response to your question.

No. he messed up he needs to take the fall.

CelestialBlade
Nov 3, 2008, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the world of common auto mechanics. Yeah, definitely go with a place that warranties their labor and go with a trusted mechanic by your insurance company (call your rep and ask for a local list for you).

Blue-Hawk
Nov 4, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hello everyone I would like to say that i am proud to be a new PSOW member and with that being said I am in need of some input.

Sorry, but I had to stop and laugh at the 'Proud New PSOW Member' comment.

But back to the topic at hand. Welcome to humanity where nothing is done for free. The second charge is for labor. He's not charging you for the second transmission is he?

Oh well. At least you have a drivable car. I just lost my job the other day and two days later my car won't start. Dealer tells me there's no compression in the cylinders. Now being the person I am, I have no ised about cars and what that means but it sounds like money I don't have. :(
Cars only 6 years old and doesn't even have 44K miles on it.

amtalx
Nov 4, 2008, 11:34 AM
Expensive car maintenance is expensive. $1k just flew out of my wallet yesterday morning for a leaky radiator, oil pressure gauge, and busted axle shaft.

CelestialBlade
Nov 4, 2008, 12:49 PM
Expensive car maintenance is expensive. $1k just flew out of my wallet yesterday morning for a leaky radiator, oil pressure gauge, and busted axle shaft.
And the unfortunate thing about this is that auto-makers are really killing the backyard mechanic with how complex drive systems are anymore, so auto repair mechanics is actually a pretty profitable field to get into right now, since you can kill people with labor costs. It's really a shame for the rest of us.

Transgamergurl
Nov 6, 2008, 07:40 AM
Well you did say you got the transmission from "Pick a Part". That to me sounds like you are buying something as-is, or from a junkyard. When you are doing something like that you are taking a risk.
So they transmission that was first put in there was bad, so how is it the guys fault? So He got another one for you and didn't charge you for it? So i think charging labor is only fair if you are using him to do the work