Page 41 of 78 FirstFirst ... 313839404142434451 ... LastLast

It's a bit bad for me right now. Firefox is instantly frozen when I try to browse some sites, and Iron won't even start.

There's also been this issue with WLM and Msgplus, but not sure when that started. Msgplus can't hook to WLM if you start it after starting the game. (It's been a small while since I noticed it.)

I guess INCA is pretty adamant about getting that update distributed, despite how godawful it is. They really should pull it out and keep it that way for a very long time until they actually fix the damn thing proper.
    PSO2
    Mikura: Female Human - Hunter 40/Ranger 29
    Lilith: Female Newman - Force 4
    Ship 2: Block 42

Personal blog: http://theslackerslounge.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Misaki Ki View Post
    It's a bit bad for me right now. Firefox is instantly frozen when I try to browse some sites, and Iron won't even start.

There's also been this issue with WLM and Msgplus, but not sure when that started. Msgplus can't hook to WLM if you start it after starting the game. (It's been a small while since I noticed it.)
    Well, it is well known that GameGuard blocks all debugging and hooking attempts, even when the game it is protecting isn't the target. Why GameGuard has to block these attempts is unknown, it isn't like it would affect PSO2 in any way.

But I guess hooking all processes and replacing any of these functions with a blank function that just returns ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED is much easier to do than communicating the PSO2 process ID and the GG process IDs to all of the hooked processes, even if it gets in the way of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikura View Post
    I guess INCA is pretty adamant about getting that update distributed, despite how godawful it is. They really should pull it out and keep it that way for a very long time until they actually fix the damn thing proper.
    With the way they are going, the only way to fix it properly is if they target PSO2 directly. But that would mean that the GameGuard processes must do more work than it already does.
    Last edited by Ana-Chan; Sep 3, 2012 at 05:28 PM.

I'm aware. For that specific case I mentioned, it just wasn't much of an issue till more recently. I think when they started rolling up this patch for the first time, or the one before it.

I can't really pick an exact moment, I just know I didn't have to exit the game completely before.
    Last edited by Misaki Ki; Sep 3, 2012 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikura View Post
    I'm gonna guess that GameGuard is the cheapest game-"protection" software available, that's why Sega sticks to it. Either that, or PSO2 development crew is part-Korean, and using nProtect's services is a part of the contract. Because whoever the hell is responsible for PSO2's version of GameGuard only seems to do the bare minimum to keep up with whatever contract they may have, releasing half-assed updates and pulling them for some kind of imaginary "investigation" like that.

As for the BSoD, I've tried reading the .dmp files, but I have neither an idea what do they say nor Windows debugger tools to tell me (apparently). From what I can guess, it always ends up terminating wininit.exe, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-24 View Post
    I'm gonna guess that GameGuard is the cheapest game-"protection" software available, that's why Sega sticks to it. Either that, or PSO2 development crew is part-Korean, and using nProtect's services is a part of the contract. Because whoever the hell is responsible for PSO2's version of GameGuard only seems to do the bare minimum to keep up with whatever contract they may have, releasing half-assed updates and pulling them for some kind of imaginary "investigation" like that.

As for the BSoD, I've tried reading the .dmp files, but I have neither an idea what do they say nor Windows debugger tools to tell me (apparently). From what I can guess, it always ends up terminating wininit.exe, right?
    The termination of wininit.exe is enough to cause a blue screen. Wininit.exe is a critical process, that means for Windows to keep running, it has to keep running too. If something terminates wininit.exe, then it results in a critical process terminated blue screen. The same happens if a few others, like csrss.exe, gets terminated.

Phew, dodged another bullet. And here I was thinking of playing tonight.

Anyone able to play after today's GG update? I thought that perhaps it was something else disrupting the game from launching but after loading the game on my second pc I realized that its the GG update that was different. If you're able to play how did you get around the issue (if any)?

Some people can play the game, obviously. It's just that koreans don't seem to know the first thing about how do PCs work, so a slight variation in soft- or hardware from whatever they've tested this 64-bit rootkit on can crash your entire system. It's just silly when a Windows program is less portable than a console game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlily View Post
    Anyone able to play after today's GG update? I thought that perhaps it was something else disrupting the game from launching but after loading the game on my second pc I realized that its the GG update that was different. If you're able to play how did you get around the issue (if any)?
    Unless your two systems are clones of each other (like exact same hardware, software and drivers) then you really can't be surprised that it works on one system and not another.

As stated already, it is this combination of hardware and software that makes all systems unique and makes it impossible to predict how something as disruptive as this will affect a system.

The major issue is that GameGuard doesn't limit itself to the three processes that it needs to work on, it is disruptive to the entire system. But depending on how it is programmed and how the drivers/hardware and software act, it may be inert on one system but completely damaging on another.

But the fact that it is touching processes like wininit.exe, csrss.exe and other critical processes shows that they are more than just Koreans who don't know what they are doing. To get to their level of understanding to be able to patch functions, get drivers in and damage things the way they are doing means that they are first class morons. This is not ignorance, at the driver writing level you know what the critical processes for Windows are, you know the consequences of killing them and you know the consequences for disrupting other software.